T.A.K.E Defense Training

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

This year, three Greek life organizations are hosting the first ever T.A.K.E. Defense class. The Ali Kemp Educational Foundation was created by Roger and Kathy Kemp. Their 19-year-old daughter, Ali, worked at a private pool in Leawood, Kansas. In the pool’s pump room on June 18, 2002, a stranger beat her to death. The man was found three years later, at the same time T.A.K.E. Defense Training was established. The organization strives to teach young women self-defense strategies that could be useful in dangerous situations. Mr. Kemp says, “If we can save one life out there, I don’t care what it costs; this whole program will be worth it.”

Ali was a member of Pi Beta Phi and only completed her first year at Kansas State University. She was involved in the Honors Program and finished in the top ten percent of her class that year. She was dedicated to her sorority and enjoyed intramurals and making new friends. To have her future taken away from her is something her family has to grieve with everyday. The reality is that it could happen to any young woman, and the foundation provides skills and knowledge to make females aware.

Facts about the T.A.K.E. Defense class:

– participants can be any females 12 years and older
– two hour session
– demonstrates physical ways to respond in an unsafe situation
– gives ways to verbally and psychologically handle an attack
– provides rejection and reaction techniques

Ali’s mom is affiliated with Alpha Delta Pi and her dad with Sigma Phi Epsilon. This sorority and fraternity, plus Pi Phi, has sponsored T.A.K.E. Defense classes at various colleges and universities. Quinnipiac is lucky enough to have all three Greek organizations, so full support can be given to the foundation.

On Thursday November 29th, come join Pi Beta Phi, Alpha Delta Pi, and Sigma Phi Epsilon in Burt Khan at 9:15pm. Look for flyers, Twitter accounts, and Facebook pages that will tell you ways to sign up for the class and help fundraise. The event is one night only and will be beneficial to you!

http://www.takedefense.org/

Callie Barkley is the Campus Correspondent and a contributing writer for Quinnipiac University. At Quinnipiac, which is located in Callie's home state of Connecticut, she studies Public Relations with a minor in Computer Information Systems and will be graduating in 2014. Callie's writing interests are related to healthy eating, working out, and surviving the intern/job world. When Callie is not focused on her work she loves to spend time with her friends and family, travel, and will take up any offer to have a little fun!