Style File: Melanie Nyarko

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Name: Melanie (Mel) Nyarko

Graduating class: 2017

Major: Communications with a minor in International Business

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Binge watch TV-shows, watch tutorials for hair, nails, or makeup, or read a book

Describe your sense of style.

I’d say it depends on the day.  I’ve seen myself go from “rebel-rocker” to “European street style”.

Who is your fashion inspiration?

Kerry Washington and Keke Palmer are some of my fashion inspirations.  Kerry is consistent with her chic sophistication, and Keke is always switching it up—but almost never missing the mark.

What is something you believe every woman should have in her closet?

I believe every woman should have a shift dress in her closet.  A shift dress can be paired with flats, pumps, sandals or platforms; the variety demands you have one!

What is your favorite piece in your closet?

My favorite piece in my closet would have to be my rain poncho/jacket.  It makes me feel Olivia Pope-ish, and the nude makes it wearable for any rainy day, with any outfit.

What are your favorite stores to shop at?

Online shopping has become life!  Missguided, BooHoo, Nasty Gal, and SheInside are sites I frequently find myself on.  However, nothing beats going to a real mall and looking for deals.

If you had to shop at one place for the rest of your life, where would it be?

BUFFALO EXCHANGE!  It’s one of the best thrift shops I have ever come across.  They don’t just accept anything, so when I go in, I know I can find something of quality for any look—hipster, classy or casual.  Buffalo Exchange has it all!

If you were invited to the Academy Awards, what would you wear?

OMG!  I would wear something with a slit a mile high.  (Haha!)  Probably a highly structured strapless dress with a thigh-high split in white or black.  I’m thinking along the lines of the beautiful Angelina Jolie “leg out” dress.

If you were to be sworn into the White House as President of the United States, what would you wear?

I can imagine the New York Times headlines screaming “President Gets Sworn in with Style”, accompanied by a picture of me in a cream peplum skirt suit and a pale Tiffany Blue long coat for that sentimental moment.

Why is fashion important to you?

Fashion is important to me because in the words of Tom Ford, “Dressing well is a form of good manners.”  It shows that you care about something, and that you put effort into yourself.  I see no reason not to put your best food forward…and leave others slayed at your well-dressed feet as well ;)

What advice do you have for other women about fashion?

Don’t try too hard!  It’s so obvious when someone has tried too hard.  You don’t have to keep up with every fashion trend!  Remember, fashion comes with style, and it’s not stylish to have four different looks going on at once.

(All photographs taken by Stephanie Osei)

Hello, My name is Brittany Hayles and I am a sophomore student at Quinnipiac University! I am currently studying Business Management with a minor in Computer Information Systems, in hopes of someday working as a manager in the corporate side of the fashion industry!
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!