Sophomore Slump or Comeback of the Year?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

This article isn’t going to be about Fall Out Boy’s hit itself – but the two words in that very famous song title. That being said, this is actually going to be extremely personal and not have anything to do with music at all. Answer me this, guys and gals: is the sophomore slump real?

Think about it: we get to college our freshman year and everything is fine and dandy. Those first two weeks you make friends with everyone, going out on Bobcat Way to drink and meet your classmates. But then shit happens, people start to hate each other (sometimes for absolutely no reason at all), rumors start, bitches get mad, and shit just happens. We rule out who our friends are and keep within our social circle.

This all sounds remarkably like high school, doesn’t it? 

But this in fact has been my college experience thus far and my fellow bobcats who I have spoken to agree. Freshman year first semester is all fine and dandy and second semester is great too – filled with hockey games, May Weekend, and house parties with this new group of friends. For me, getting myself involved in a sorority and changing my major made my second semester even better than the first- that and getting rid of a toxic now ex-boyfriend. 

Anyway, let’s get back on track here, friends. Come back four months after freshman year is over and everything has changed – friends have grown apart and for the first few weeks it feels absolutely great to be back with our fellow bobkittens. But then something happens – the sophomore slump. 

You realize that everything isn’t the same – sure, you have the same friends but you’re not as tight as you once were. Everyone’s off in different directions getting involved in different clubs and classes, making new friends, branching out in different directions. Not only that, but your classes get more difficult and everything around just gets dull – what was once new and exciting is just kind of there.  

Everything is just boring. Dull. Same shit different day. It’s the same thing with the same people every weekend and there’s no variety. Life is just blah. 

This isn’t a depression in no way, shape, or form – but it’s just a rut. A slump, if you will. We’re in the middle of the “little kids” on campus who think everything is new and exciting and the “older kids” who are old enough to do the “cool” things, like go to the bar legally and not have a care in the world.

In a way, we’re like the older kids who sit at the little kids table at family dinner because we’re not mature enough to sit with all the adults. And we sit there and try to grin and bear it but we wish we were at the big table – because we’re so over hanging with the little kids. 

So, does the sophomore slump exist? Tell us what you think by tweeting @hercampusqu!

For more posts like this, check out Alison’s blog: http://alternativelyalison.wor…

Quinnipiac journalism sophomore who is a self-admitted workaholic (I've had 5 different jobs in the past year) , beach-lover, and concert go-er. alternativelyalison.wordpress.com is where you can find me blogging about music, life, and er- music.