andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Six Reasons to Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

1. Sense of self:

Being in a different country is one of the best ways to find out who you really are. You’re with people who know nothing about you so rather than being “that guy/girl” that everyone knows about, you can be who you want to be known as.

2.  Independence:

Being in a new environment will allow you to see what you’re good at and what you need to work on. Being so far from home you are somewhat forced to improve the things that you aren’t so good at.

3.  Adventure: 

When abroad students tend to step out of their comfort zone, this allows them to do things they wouldn’t normally do, such as something like skydiving or water skiing. Studying abroad puts you on another continent so you’re generally closer to places you wouldn’t ordinarily be able to visit.

4.  Cultural Awareness:

We all have some amount of cultural pride, which usually comes from our parents and others around us. But while in another country, we are able to see how a culture so different can be just as nice or even better than our own. We develop our own views on their culture, as well.

5.  Resume and Future Jobs:

Having study abroad experience is pretty impressive to employers. It shows that you were able to live on your own and embrace a lifestyle that is more than likely a complete change from what you are used to. It shows adaptability and sensitivity, which are always a plus.

6.  IT’S FUN:

Being abroad you meet so many new people and make memories that will last a lifetime. Spontaneity and adventure become your go to. You can pick up and take a weekend trip to another country without having to check in with your parents first. Zip-lining, rafting, parasailing, the list goes on.

Kacey LaBar

Quinnipiac

A Jersey Girl at heart with big city dreams! I'm a senior at Quinnipiac University. I love writing about celebrities, trends, music & movies!