QU Welcomes Pi Beta Phi!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Everyone knows the Quinnipiac campus is always growing. And this time we aren’t talking about the never-ending construction. The clubs and student run organizations on campus are expanding and adding new life to them as well.

Greek life is one of the many organizations taking a giant step forward to start off the new year. One new brotherhood, Pi Kappa Phi, and one new sisterhood, Pi Beta Phi, will join the Greek Life Organization.  Both groups will be holding colonizing recruitment throughout September for only sophomores, juniors and seniors.

Pi Beta Phi was founded in 1867 at Monmouth College in Monmouth Illinois. It was the first secret female organization to be modeled after the male Greek system. For 100 years, sorority members have been increasing literacy all over the world, and engaging others in the importance of education.

Resident Leadership Consultant, Emily Jones, traveled from Virginia to get the sorority started. She said, “A founding member of the Pi Beta Phi chapter at Quinnipiac University will be part of history. They will help establish Pi Phi on campus, and have the opportunity to create a premier group dedicated to Pi Phi’s core values: Integrity, Lifelong commitment, honor and respect, personal and intellectual growth, philanthropic service to others and sincere friendship.”

Over the next two weeks, Pi Beta Phi resident leadership consultants will be on campus interviewing potential new members. “There will be two events,” Jones said. “The first is an open house/Philanthropy Event where potential new members will learn more about Pi Phi’s commitment to community service and literacy on Friday, September 9 at 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 pm. The second is Preference Event where potential new members will have an opportunity to meet with Pi Phis from NYU, one of the newest chapters.”

Preference event is by invitation only, and formal pledging and Bid Day will begin Sunday, September 11.

For the men, Pi Kappa Phi is an excellent fraternity. It was founded in 1904 in Charleston South Carolina. With the mission of “We will lead,” PiKapp believes every member is a leader. They started their own non-profit organization to raise awareness for disabled people.

Over a five-week period, Pi Kappa Phi will look for strong willed men who want to be apart of a life changing experience.

For more information on Pi Beta Phi check out http://www.pibetaphi.org/pibetaphi/quinnipiac/ and follow them on Facebook and Twitter!

For more information on Pi Kappa Phi email qu@pikapp.org and follow them on Facebook and twitter.

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.