NYC Fashion Week: From the Runway to Dorm Road

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

New York City’s Mercedes Benz Fashion Week was held this past month in February exhibiting the world’s top designers. I don’t know about you, but most college students can’t afford a thousand dollar sun dress just to wear around campus. Most of the fashions created by the designers are too much to wear down dorm road, but there are ways to get the look without dishing out the big bucks.

Do you remember ever seeing pictures of your parents from the 70’s and what they used to wear? Well those
fashions are back in as of spring 2011. Rummage through your mother’s closet and see if you can find any High-Waisted Jeans that they wore so often back in those days. After almost a decade of the skinny jean dominating the fashion world, high-waisted flare is finally back in. Match them up with wedge heels and a light button down shirt.

During this year’s Fashion Week many designers stuck too using one or two colors (or a few in the same color family) when mixing and matching looks according to Glamour magazine. Whether it was light dresses or flowing tops, they always wanted to avoid a crazy looks. Not matching is definitely not in anymore.

The wedge is back in…well sort of. Part wedge, part platform, but extremely comfortable compared to your regular pumps. Your feet will thank you for giving them a break from painful pointy stilettos. The designers tended to stick with the neutral and nude colors since that’s back in as well.

Sand, buff, beige—call it whatever you want, but there have been boatloads of clothes in barely there pales on the spring runways. From skirts to shirts, match up some of those nude colors with a stylish black or a flattering red so all of those neutrals won’t wash you out. 

The jumpsuit is also back on the runaways. It is cute and easy to just slip on and not have to worry about matching with jeans or other bottoms. Funky colors or even just solid, match it up with cute sandals and a jean jacket if it’s a sunny, but windy day.

There are loads of new spring trends out there. You just have look. Don’t hesitate to give them a go!

Photo Credits:
www.fashionglobalonline.com
www.glamour.com

Johana Gutierrez is a Public Relations student at Quinnipiac University with a minor in International Business. She comes from a city life area in the Southern part of Connecticut.At Quinnipiac, she is the Alumni Relations Director for the International Business Society and member of PRSSA. This past summer, Johana interned at Live Nation Entertainment in NYC. In her free time, Johana enjoys going to concerts, listening to music and being in the company of her friends. She hopes to to continue her experience in the entertainment industry and ideally end up working at a record label.