NY State of Mind: Singles Awareness Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Singles Awareness Day, also known as that little holiday as Valentines Day, is probably most dreadful time of the year.  Thankfully, it only come around once, but unlike other holidays, which usually include a cute old man leaving you presents or a bunny rabbit hiding his eggs, Valentine’s Day involves presents from boyfriends and expensive dinner reservations.  However for all you single ladies, myself included, it means wallowing on the couch with a tub of Ben and Jerry’s crying to your mom asking why you’re still single.  Well instead of wondering why, get out off the couch and go do something about it.

I hate to break it to you ladies; sitting on the couch binging on unhealthy foods isn’t going to change the fact that you’re still single.  Get off the couch, put down the Ben and Jerry’s grab your girlfriend, put on a fresh face and get out there! Take this opportunity as a chance to try something new. If you have been dying to go to the local museum or a new coffee shop, go try it.  Some places will even offer Valentine Special that day; check discount places like Groupon, so you can get in for a reduced price. 

If you really have the single blues and don’t want to leave your house, instead of watching The Notebook, for the 1,000 time, pop in a comedy, like Step Brothers or a classic horror movie.  It will make you forget what you’re so upset about and make you focus more on yourself.  To make the day even better, use the day as the perfect opportunity to do all the things you love doing, but would always be embarrassed getting caught doing.  Give yourself a facial, paint your nails and wax your legs.  Use the day to pamper yourself and treat yourself like the princess you are.

Just because your girlfriends may be going out on V-Day, remember that it’s only one day of the year, I promise, and eventually you’re going to find someone to go out with and they’re all going to be jealous.  SO instead of blasting the Taylor Swift and curling up into a ball, get out there and show the world you don’t need a man and rock the single girl swag.

Tia Meyers

Quinnipiac

Tia is a senior public relations and marketing major at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys singing, kayaking, cooking, travelling, and dance. She is an only child and it has made her a very outgoing young woman. Tia’s motto is “you can’t be old and wise if you’re never young and crazy” and believes that you should be a person to look up to, always be true to yourself and to try anything and everything you can. Tia loves to watch tv and read, her favorite show is New Girl and her favorite book is “Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”. Tia is addicted to Dunkin Donuts coffee, rings, peanut butter and the beach.