The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

With all the snow we’ve been dealing with lately, it can be pretty difficult to get to the gym and work out.  So what better way to stay fit than doing these simple-yet-effective workouts in your own room while binge-watching Netflix!?

The Bridge

·      Lie flat on your back with your hands by your side and your knees bent and your feet placed shoulder width apart.

·      Pushing mainly with your heels, lift your hips off the floor while keeping your back straight.

·      Slowly go back to the starting position as you breathe in.

This is a great workout because it targets several areas: your butt, abs and thighs!

The Bridge-Up with Leg Lifts

·      Take turns extending one leg at a time as you push up into the bridge mode (see above.)

·      Keep your leg as straight as possible to get the maximum effect.

You will get the same results as you would from the simple bridge exercise…but better!

The Reverse Crunch

·      Lie on your back and extend your arms out to the side or keep your hands behind your head.

·      Raise your knees and feet so they create a 90-degree angle.

·      Contract your abs and exhale as you lift your hips off the floor with control.

·      You want your knees to move towards your head at a right angle.

·      Inhale and slowly lower.

This workout will strengthen the entire abdominal area.

The Superman

·      Lie face down on the floor and extend your arms out front, keeping your elbows slightly bent.

·      Use your lower back muscles to lift your chest off the floor.  Keep your neck in line with your spine.

This exercise aims to strengthen your lower back and core muscles.

I hope you find these exercises simple while they give you results!  Keep in mind that continuing cardio at the gym and eating well are also key components in being healthy and fit.  In the meantime, use these moves while you’re stuck inside.

What are your favorite exercises to do when you’re stuck inside your room?  Any “prison style” workout tips you’d like to share with us?  Tweet at us, and we’ll share your tips!

Senior at Quinnipiac. I love traveling, shopping, Lake George, family, friends, my two dogs, glitter, and elephants :) Feel free to follow me on Pinterest, as well as Instagram and Twitter @annienoordsy
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!