Kendrick Lamar Grammy Performance Breakdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

This past Monday, the Grammy’s aired on CBS and anticipation filled the air as many of music’s brightest stars were set to perform. One of those stars included hip-hop artist Kendrick Lamar, who performed two singles from his second album, “How To Pimp a Butterfly”.

Whether people praised him or not, it is an undeniable performance that impacted many others and brought a poetic message to the stage.

Let’s start with the very beginning of the performance, as Kendrick Lamar walked to the mic in chains, sweat on his forehead with a face of disparity. It was a visual of a prison with a saxophone player locked behind bars and his backup dancers standing behind him holding up their chains in the air to demonstrate a silent protest. 

In the final part of his performance, Lamar performed a new song where he discussed his mental stability through the madness, struggles with sobriety and his relationship with religion. The lyrics were rapidly thrown at the audience; however, everyone understood his message of racial tension, prosperity and his own personal struggles. 

Through a powerful performance, Kendrick Lamar captured the attention of many across the entire nation.

My name is Tori Batiste and I am a current junior at Quinnipiac University studying Film and Women's Studies. I am a Texas native and cant wait for life to bring more happiness and joy. I enjoy anything that can spark my imagination and that challenges me. I have so much to share with the world that I just cant help but express myself.
Caisse Davis

Quinnipiac

Hi, Collegiettes! My name is Caisse. I'm a senior journalism major at Quinnipiac University, just looking to prove my writing other than in a sea of girls in Lily and boys in pastel colored button-ups. Feel free to check out my articles, as well as my personal blog! http://caissedavis.wordpress.com