International Student Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Being an international student on a mostly-local campus can be described as entertaining, frustrating but especially downright hilarious. Most of the “problems” I’ve come across in the last month especially pertain to being a Trinidadian in America, but I’m sure every international student has come across similar problems.

– “Soooo.. what language do you speak?” “English.. with an accent”

– “Do you know Rihanna? Everyone from the Caribbean knows each other right?”

– “Do you go on vacation, cause you live in vacation?!”

– “So why’d you come to school here?” – it’s been two months and I still get this one

– Getting placed in “non-native speaking” English 101 class because they assumed because I’m international that I can’t speak fluent English.

– Being asked to repeat ‘beer’, ‘water’, ‘lighter’ numerous times

– Being teased about the fact that I refer to it as “bathing” instead of “taking a shower”

– “Your accent is like, British” .. “It’s not, though” .. “But it kind of is.” Okay?? I’m British!?

– Being able to perfectly quote and master the scene from Bridesmaids where Annie’s weird British roommate gets a tattoo.. “I got a free tattoo. I could not believe it, the guy said ‘do you want a free tattoo’,
opened up the side of his van, he said ‘it’s for free!’, and I said sure!”

– Talking to my friends and family from home on the phone or skype, and my roommates looking at me like I have two heads because I’m speaking in Trini slang

– Yes I’m interested in politics, No I can’t vote!

The minute after I finished making this list, the guy sitting next to me in the study lounge proceeded to ask me if I was British… it never ends! All jokes aside, ever since coming here I’ve realized how much Quinnipiac and everyone here tries to make me feel comfortable and welcome in the US. The International Admissions officer who accepted me stays in touch with me regularly, Quinnipiac paired me with a “global ambassador” – a current international student to help me with my transition to living here, and there are so many clubs available to help you fit in regardless of what culture you are, what country you’re from or even what language you speak. Aside from that, my roommates, hallmates, friends and even my RA have all reached out to me to make me feel welcome, to learn about my culture and to remind me that they’ll be coming to visit! Although I do miss home at times and feel sad that I can’t head home for a weekend like most of my friends can, I do not regret choosing Quinnipiac one bit! I’ve accepted that Quinnipiac is my new home for the next four years, and I’m proud to say that I love it!

Callie Barkley is the Campus Correspondent and a contributing writer for Quinnipiac University. At Quinnipiac, which is located in Callie's home state of Connecticut, she studies Public Relations with a minor in Computer Information Systems and will be graduating in 2014. Callie's writing interests are related to healthy eating, working out, and surviving the intern/job world. When Callie is not focused on her work she loves to spend time with her friends and family, travel, and will take up any offer to have a little fun!