Instagram-Worthy Eateries in Downtown New Haven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Downtown New Haven—the heart and soul of New Haven, Connecticut—is the hub of cafés and restaurants that give off a cool vibe and make you want to share your food experiences with all your friends from home.  So if you’re a major foodie, there are plenty of cafés and cultural restaurants with delicious foods waiting to be stumbled upon!

Cafés

1.  Claire’s Corner Copia

Located on Chapel Street, Claire’s Corner Copia serves vegetarian food with an ethnic twist.  Italian, Mexican and Middle Eastern foods are all on the menu, so you’ll be sure to get exactly what you’re craving.  The environment gives off a warm and cozy vibe, so you’ll feel right at home.  (It’s also kosher certified and environmentally friendly!)

2.  Atticus

Atticus Finch?  Boo Radley?  This bookstore/café has been serving the residents of New Haven for over 30 years!  They specialize in the three S’s: sandwiches, soups, and salads.  For all you book lovers, this place features 15% off hardcover books every day!  Atticus is also located on Chapel Street.

3.  Cedarhurst Café

On Crown Street is where you’ll find the Cedarhurst Café!  The rustic atmosphere serves as a great setting for a place to study and grab a quick bite to eat.  The menu consists of coffee, smoothies, sandwiches, salads, etc., and the owners are always willing to make suggestions if you’re unsure of what to order!

4.  Blue State Coffee

Want some really awesome coffee and food?  Why not check out Blue State Coffee on York Street?  Unlike the other cafés, Blue State Coffee gives off more of a work vibe, so it’s the perfect place to hold an interview or a club meeting because who doesn’t love eating and trying to be professional at the same time?

Restaurants

1.  Sababa

Craving some Middle Eastern Food?  Want a falafel or shawarma?  Sababa, on Whitney Avenue, has exactly what you’re looking for.  Come here and you’ll be sure to get a ton of flavorful food for little cost!  Perfect for a broke college student looking to expand his or her cultural horizons.

2.  Barcelona

Located on Temple Street, Barcelona is the perfect place to go for a girl’s night out or a date.  The cuisine encompasses all four corners of Spain, and you’ll feel as if you’re actually in Barcelona with the dim lights and yummy tapas!  Also, if you’re old enough to drink, enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail while you eat.

3.  Istanbul Café

Come down to Crown Street for some traditional and authentic Turkish food.  Never had Turkish cuisine before?  Try out some customer favorites, including the chicken shish kebab and imam bayildi.  Want some dessert?  Be sure to get the homemade baklava!  You’ll get the full Turkish experience with the draped curtains and occasional belly dancing.

4.  Da Legna

Nestled on the corner of Clark and State streets, Da Legna serves all the Italian food you’ve been missing while away from home.  Come here with a group of friends on a Friday or Saturday night and enjoy their artisan pizzas or a variety of pastas.  The restaurant has an industrial yet rustic feel and sets the mood for a relaxing, laidback evening.

Had some amazing coffee and a croissant at one of these cafés or had a great evening out with your girls at one these restaurants?  Instagram these Instagram-worthy cafés and restaurants and tag us @hercampusqu!  Eat on, Bobcats!

Hey everyone! I'm Christina Ruenes. I am a junior at Quinnipiac University from Long Island, New York. I'm an International Business Major, Marketing Minor. I have a wide range of interests including travel, fashion, news, history, beauty, and entertainment. I ultimately enjoy writing about topics that I find interesting and that I think other collegiates would like to read about.
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!