This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

How to Save Money in College

By: Leah Nevins

Saving money in college is hard. With the price of textbooks, Ubers to New Haven, 2am Domino’s orders, and online shopping it’s scarily easy to spend a lot of money in a short period of time. Although, there are many small changes you can make to your everyday life that will keep you from being a broke college student.

1. Take Advantage of Student Discounts

Amazon offers college students a 6-month trial to be a member of Prime Student which allows free two-day shipping on most items.  Once the trial ends, the Prime Student membership makes you eligible for all Prime benefits until graduation. Student discounts are also available in stores such as J. Crew, Sam’s Club, Toms, Banana Republic, Medelita, and so many more.  Before you make your next purchase, ask the retailer what discounts are available for students- it’s worth a shot!

2. Rent Textbooks

At the beginning of each semester, many find it exciting to organize their dorms, school supplies, and get their books for each class.  What is not exciting, is the significant amount of money spent buying books which can quickly add up to several hundred dollars. To avoid this, many students rent their textbooks from suppliers such as Amazon and Chegg and send their books back at the end of the semester.  By renting textbooks, students can save tons of money which can go toward different college expenses!

3. Do Your Own Mani-Pedis

We all love getting manicures and pedicures but when you are on a budget, It’s best to save money and do it yourself.  At-home mani pedis are fun and can even relieve stress. For an even better time, invite friends over to join you!

4. Limit Eating/Ordering Out

Cooking at home or taking advantage of that meal plan you have can save you a lot of money.  Also, always check out what is available to you on campus such as events with free food! Save eating/ordering out for special occasions only.

5. By a Reusable Water Bottle

All over campus, students have awesome reusable water bottles.  Keeping one in your bookbag can prevent you from buying overpriced plastic water bottles and can help save the environment!  Quinnipiac has Brita hydration stations located in various buildings such as the Carl Hansen Student Center, CCE, and CAS.

6. Use Your School’s’ Gym

Here at Quinnipiac, we have awesome gym facilities as well as free fitness classes!  Take advantage of your school’s amentaties rather than spending money at a gym elsewhere.

7. Make Your own Coffee

Buying a coffee maker for your dorm is a great investment for many reasons.  You won’t have to pay for overpriced coffee, you’re able to ensure it is prepared to your liking, there is no need to wait in line, and it is available whenever you want!

9. Use Your School’s Shuttle

At Quinnipiac, we have free shuttles that drive students to New Haven and different shopping and entertainment areas in North Haven.  Take the shuttle with your friends instead of paying for Ubers.

Leah Nevins

Quinnipiac '22

A local environmentalist, Game of Thrones enthusiast, meme loving, Leo. When I am not doing homework catch me surfing twitter, watching Lemonade Mouth, or preaching about Climate Change!