felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

How to (Cheaply and Cutely) Decorate Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

My favorite thing about coming back to school and starting a new year is getting a new dorm, being in a new place, and of course being able to newly decorate it! Something I always struggled with is spending tons of money on the latest décor and realizing later on that I could’ve gotten it somewhere cheaper. As a now senior, I would say I believed I mastered buying super cute and inexpensive decorations and I would love to share my recommendations

1. Five Below

As one of my all-time favorite stores, Five Below has so much to offer for such a low price! When everything is less than or is $5 the sky is the limit. They have an array of blankets, pillows, lights, wall decorations, and stuff to put around your room! For example, they have $5 salt lamps, cute and colorful rugs, and amazing candles. Five Below definitely is a go-to store for all your decorations especially if your budget is five and below!

2. Local Artist

A great way to get inexpensive decorations is finding someone who does artwork and seeing if sell their pieces! Lots of artists make posters of their work or will make pieces of your liking. Buying work from an artist is a great way to support people and their work, instead of buying from a corporation, and is relatively inexpensive! You can always go on Instagram and search if there are any artists that are by you or that you are friends with, or look on Etsy; a website where people from all over make crafts and sell them to others

3. DIY

My go-to when I want to add a touch to my room is just making it myself! There are a ton of ways to make cute decorations for your room by just crafting them or following a step by step on YouTube or Pinterest. Personally, I have made a wooden board that holds my necklaces, a picture board with strings and clothespins that hold up my polaroid’s, and filled up some empty mason jars and yogurt jars with plants and seashells! DIY is super cheap and fun to make, especially because it’s to your liking. I recommend going on Pinterest and searching for ideas for your dorm!

4. Amazon

The final place I usually buy things from is Amazon. It is easy, not expensive, and ships fast. They have pretty much everything and anything so it’s great if you want to browse. They have a lot of nice beddings, tapestries and wall lights which are great for your dorm. If you have prime, you can get free shipping which is also another great factor. Instead of going to places expensive trendy places Urban Outfitters for your bedroom design, check out Amazon for something less pricey but still cute.

Kaitlyn Berlanga

Quinnipiac '20

The sweetest, sassiest, most sarcastic girl you'll ever meet. Writing articles to better the lives of us girls :)