Helpful Techniques for Natural Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Since the past few years, a wave of women with coarse and curly hair have been sticking to their roots. In other words, women with this type of hair have decided to maintain their mane according to the natural way that their hair grows. Unfortunately, many women are misguided on how to treat and keep their hair healthy. That’s why I’ve compiled a list of some healthy techniques on maintaining a naturalista lifestyle!

1. Steaming

Most naturalista’s do not want their hair to be soaking wet in order to style it. Water is not your enemy anymore, especially with the steaming method! This method creates a humid environment that moisturizes the hair and promotes hair growth. Using this method can help those naturalistas increase their moisture retention. Steaming also helps reshape and define the curl pattern. Steaming also strengthens hair by increasing elasticity and the ability to return to its natural state. The hairs’ cuticles open to provide a better way for the flow of natural oils and nutrients.

2. Sulfate-free Shampoos

Sulfates are used in a variety of products from dish washing liquid to shampoos. Sulfates are used so the chemicals can break down the oil from dirty surfaces. Using sulfate infused shampoos can make coarse and curly hair very dry and brittle. That is why using sulfate-free shampoos are important! This shampoo reduces the chances of developing irritation of the scalp, increases moisture retention and improves and retains hair oils.

3. Protective Hairstyles

If you did the “big chop,” are currently transitioning from chemically straightened hair or have been natural for a while, protective hairstyles are helpful in a hectic and busy lifestyle. These styles are meant to be low maintenance and easy for the woman on the go! The health benefits of these hairstyles promote hair growth. They also moisturize the scalp and are quick and easy to style. Examples of protective hairstyles are loose buns with a few curls left out or tight braids!

4. Trimming End

The majority of women with natural hair do not want to go under those scissors at the salon. But at least trimming your ends is effortless and won’t make you cringe! Trimming your ends is an important component to hair growth, which is high priority for those with natural hair. When the hair is cut it gets rid of dead ends that weigh down your hair. The longer the ends of the hair are, the more damage is done. Dead and damaged ends not only make it difficult to style, but your hair also looks unhealthy. Hair should be trimmed every four to eight weeks and depending on how well kept the hair is, it can be cut every eight to 12 weeks.

5. #BonnetLife

A hair bonnet is a stretchy hair cap that is often made of silk. If you haven’t already noticed, coarse and curly hair is sensitive and needs extra care. Improving hair while you sleep can be a benefit to a lot of women with natural hair! A satin bonnet worn at night can help your hair stay soft and retain moisture. Sleeping without a bonnet with cotton sheets can cause breakage, dryness and unhealthy shedding. When the naturalista decides to create bantu knots, twist outs braid outs or other hairstyles,  wearing a bonnet can increase a better outcome. Other benefits of wearing a bonnet include the minimization of tangling and frizz.

There are so many different kinds of hair care advice, but the tips provided here are a great stepping-stone into healthy and manageable hair. Keep practicing ways and different methods to get the best hair possible!

My name is Tori Batiste and I am a current junior at Quinnipiac University studying Film and Women's Studies. I am a Texas native and cant wait for life to bring more happiness and joy. I enjoy anything that can spark my imagination and that challenges me. I have so much to share with the world that I just cant help but express myself.
Caisse Davis

Quinnipiac

Hi, Collegiettes! My name is Caisse. I'm a senior journalism major at Quinnipiac University, just looking to prove my writing other than in a sea of girls in Lily and boys in pastel colored button-ups. Feel free to check out my articles, as well as my personal blog! http://caissedavis.wordpress.com