Heather Scott- NBC Sports Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

What’s your major/ minor?

I am a Public Relations major and Sports Studies minor.

What internships have you had?

I have interned at NBC Sports and KNB Communications.

What were some of your responsibilities as an intern?

At NBC Sports, I was responsible for creating content such as photo galleries for the London 2012 Olympics. Other responsibilities were updating articles and other content on NBC’S year-round Olympic sports coverage website, universalsports.com. At KNB Communications, my responsibilities were more PR based. Some of my responsibilities included writing first drafts of press releases, creating and managing media lists, attending webinars, and creating monthly reports for clients.

Do you have a favorite memory from any of your internships?

I interned at KNB Communications this past summer. It was a huge time for the agency as the “Obamacare” healthcare law was passed by Congress. The urgency to get the news out and the excitement in the office that day was so electrifying it was palpable.

What is something that you learned from your internship?  

I learned that you need to keep up with your assignments. You can’t finish one task and just leave it in the past. Information about that task may come up again or you may need to correlate that task with another assignment, so always keep information and skills learned in mind.

What are some of your career goals?

Some of my career goals are to work in a Sports PR agency in Manhattan. Eventually, I would like to go international and practice PR in London, since it is the “New York of Europe.”

Any advice to collegiates that are looking for internships or with college in general?

My advice for those seeking internships is to follow @QUCommCareers because Professor Joseph Catrino (who runs the account) posts and retweets hundreds of internship opportunities a day. Also, get involved in clubs and network with others, especially upperclassmen because they can refer you to past internships that they have had or may have a connection with someone in a field you are interested in.

Anything else you’d like to add?

In regards to internships, most professionals and professors will tell you to start small. That’s fine and great advice to adhere to. However, if you are interested in a big time company, start doing your research and find out when and if you are eligible for any internship or volunteer opportunities. This is how you can get your foot in the door and eventually walk through it.