Finding Internships 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

With only seven weeks left in the semester and Winter Break quickly approaching, it’s time to get serious about finding an internship.  Here are a few tips and tricks to finding your dream intern position:

Figure out the WHEN, WHERE and HOW of your desired internship.

WHEN: Internships are offered during the Fall Semester (September-December), Winter Semester (December-January), Spring Semester (January-April), and Summer Semester (May-August), depending on each company.  Determining when you want to intern is crucial to the application process.  Many companies begin their internship search five months in advance.  For example, applications for a summer internship would begin in December.  This varies from company to company, but it is important to stay up-to-date on when the process begins.

WHERE: Internships are offered in all countries, states and cities.  Narrowing down your search will allow you to determine possible expenses, such as transportation and housing.  Try limiting your selection to three top locations and determining the specific expenses associated with each location.  Doing this will allow you to explore the city that will offer you the greatest experience without burning a hole in your pocket!

HOW: After figuring out when and where you would like an internship, it’s time to determine the how!  Most, if not all, internships require you to submit some form of a résumé or cover letter…and possibly both.  It is important to ensure that your résumé or cover letter is tailored to the company to which you are applying.  For example, if you are applying to an internship at a software company and your only experience was working at a retail store, discuss how the skills you acquired while working (team building and communication skills) will be beneficial to the internship program.

Have a peer or professor review your materials to ensure that they are professional and well written.  The Career Center here at QU and websites such as About.com and Forbes.com offer the perfect tips for résumé building!

Click here to read one of my favorite articles on the do’s and don’t of résumés.

Search for internships.

Internships.com

Allows you to search for internships related to all majors.  Internships.com also has an innovative application called the Internship Predictor.  If you are unsure about where to intern, this app will allow you to choose preferences and suggest the right internship match for you!  

Internqueen.com

Offers you the unique chance to apply for some of the most exclusive internships!  On this website you can find internships from CHANEL in New York City to a pharmaceutical company in Beijing, China.  Fun fact: Founder Lauren Berger started this company when she was only 24 years old!

InternshipKing.com

Although it is extremely tedious to search through, this website offers a great variety of internships—everything from Lily Pulitzer to BMW!  The internships offered on this website change daily, so you must continuously search and stay proactive to find your perfect match.

Internmatch.com

Offers you the chance to develop a profile that employers can view.  If they’re interested, they will contact you with a possible internship opportunity.  The more you put into this website, the more you get out of it!

LinkedIn.com

Gives you the chance not only to connect with employers but to also connect with other individuals in your same industry.  There are many times where internship opportunities will be made possible through your connections, and LinkedIn is the best way to make these connections!

Companies enjoy connecting with college students, so feel free to email the career services at your favorite companies to find out about their specific internship application processes.  An email goes a long way.

Share your experience with others.

Once you find an internship and are accepted, share you experience on blogging websites such as Blogger and WordPress.  Other students will enjoy hearing about your experience and advice that you have to offer.

What should I do if I don’t get an internship?

WORK!  Experience is such an important aspect of determining your success after leaving college.  If you do not get the internship you applied for, don’t feel discouraged.  Working in your field is also important, and much more accessible.  Working before you get an internship can be equally beneficial, considering you’ll get real life experience before going behind the scenes during an internship.

I wish you the best in your internship search; may you land the internship of your dreams!  HCXO!

Hello, My name is Brittany Hayles and I am a sophomore student at Quinnipiac University! I am currently studying Business Management with a minor in Computer Information Systems, in hopes of someday working as a manager in the corporate side of the fashion industry!
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!