Dorm Workout: Tone Up and Trick or Treat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Want to know how to get Halloween-ready in no time with no expensive equipment? QU alum Meg Hughes is here to tell you through her amazing Dorm Workouts. 

Halloween is right around the corner, and it’s time to get your creative minds working about what you are going to be.  I mean actually creative, you don’t want to be the 50th “sexy nurse” to walk into Toads. Now that you have planned the perfect outfit, lets pair it with the perfect toning workout to boost the confidence so you can strut down Dorm Road like its a New York runway.  Here’s a small segment from my signature class Skating Physique (TM) to tone your legs and core.  

Look around your room and find either a paper plate, maybe a small towel or something that will slide on your floor; this is the only piece of “equipment” that you will need for this segment.
Place your right foot on the plate, while the other stays planted on the floor. Engage through the core and slowly glide your right foot straight behind you into a back lunge, and with an exhale draw the right foot forward up to your stationary left foot. Repeat this 15 times on one side then repeat with the opposite leg.
Repeat the exercise above a second time on both sides, however this round through, hold the last rep, stay low in your stationary leg and double time the moving leg forward and back 10 times to add some cardio and a bit more burn.

Now let’s move on to the core: get down in a plank or push-up position, with your wrists positioned directly under your elbows, which are directly beneath your shoulders. Draw the abdominals in, squeeze the glutes and thighs and hold. Try to hold this first plank for 20 seconds. If this was difficult enough for you, stay put and repeat it three times. If you feel like you still need a bit more, try this:
Start in a low plank on your elbows, hold this for 8 seconds, and without dropping your knees down, push up into a high plank on the hands, and hold for 8 seconds without dropping to your knees. Then, pulling the abs in tighter, lift your right foot off of the floor and hold for 8 seconds. Now place the right foot back down and hold a high plank for 8 seconds. Drop back down to a low plank on your elbows for 8 seconds. Now you have a choice either take a quick timeout or go right into the second half. Repeat what is above, however, lift you left leg rather than the right. I know it’s tempting but try to keep the count slow!

Here’s to feeling as great as you are looking! For more workout tips and quickie workouts check out dormworkout.com.  

Photo Source: BodyRock.tv, LaurenConrad.com

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.