Dorm Workout: 3.14 is Not An Excuse for Pie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

One of my friends recently shared this picture with me.  While funny, yes, it got me thinking…Why does
studying always make you hungry?! I always seem to be craving something while I am reviewing critical information. I like to pretend that it helps me study but I realize that is just something I tell myself to make me feel better and justify this behavior. The next time your calculus homework starts morphing into looking like a yummy snack take a step back, a deep breath and try these tips on for size:

• Grab a piece of gum – it keeps the mouth occupied and the jaw moving to mimic the sensation of eating
  • Fill up that water bottle – sometimes the perception of hunger is actually thirst.
  • Grapes – they are a perfect bite sized snack to bring along, they have a crunch as well as the sweet flavor, and eating a whole bunch is not as guilt causing as a bag of mini snickers (not that I know from personal experience!)
  • Take mini breaks – walk around the library, and do a few push ups or tricep dips off of your chair. The blood flow helps retain information and it keeps your mind off of munching.

Learning to cope with stress now while we are still in school is key because after graduation we may not be taking regular exams, but deadlines are still a very real thing.  Understanding what drives these cravings and what calms them (besides over-eating) sooner rather than later will help set up a healthier post-graduation lifestyle.

For me, yoga helps chill me out and clears my mind to help me get what I need to get done, well… done. I may be known to randomly bust into yoga poses in everyday life, yet the library tends to not be the place.  Just closing my eyes and taking some deep breaths give me a bit of Zen while still amongst the stacks of medical journals.  Then I feel much more energized to get a full workout after I call it quits from studying.
After you return to your dorm, try this awesome mini yoga workout:

Start standing at the back of your mat (or a bath towel) close your eyes, and just focus on your breath for a few moments. Open your eyes and reach your fingers down towards your feet, then walk your hands out into a plank (push-up) position. Hold plank and focus on the breath as the abs and body start to shimmy-shake a bit. Take your right foot off the floor and draw the knee in between your elbows. After holding for a moment, place your foot on the floor and turn the left foot at a 90 degree angle lift into Warrior II.  Keep the breath going, especially as the front leg start to shake.  Slowly place both hands back on the floor in plank and walk the hands back to your feet and roll the spine up to a standing position.  Repeat on the opposite side. Namaste.

Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.