Don’t be Afraid to Lift: Why Girls Should Lift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

What do you usually do when you go to the gym? Are you guilty of elliptical-syndrome? You know, always heading straight for the elliptical and ignore all the other equipment. If yes, don’t worry, I’ve been there too.

There was a time when I would always go on the elliptical, and give the weight room a blind eye. Eventually, I became bored and decided that I had to add something new to my exercise regime. My friend (also a girl) who’s into weight training convinced me to start and I’ve been going strong for a month!

Whenever I go to the gym, I notice that 90% of the people in the weight room are guys. And when I venture upstairs, most of the girls are on the elliptical/treadmill. While it isn’t bad to go on these machines, going on them constantly becomes redundant and your body adjusts to it.

When I asked a few of my friends who have elliptical-syndrome why they don’t use weights, the answer is always the same “I don’t want to bulk up!”

Pause.

For one, we are built differently from guys, and we won’t bulk up as easily as they do. And yes, there are female body builders, but it’s not expected that you have to bench press 200. Plus, these strong ladies have a serious diet of high protein foods, so they intentionally bulk up.

So why should you lift?

Incorporating weights in your exercise regime has great benefits. Some of which include:

A nice, toned body: Want nicely sculpted thighs? Or even a sexy back? Don’t forget a nice round booty! Then you should start putting those weights in your gym schedule.

Improved cardiovascular system: It’s always good to get your heart pumping and get in a nice workout. Expect lots of sweating and blood flowing when you start lifting.

You’ll feel stronger: Remember how you once struggled picking up that huge box? You’ll soon start to notice things aren’t as heavy, because you’ll be stronger. And with that comes a burst of energy!

Increased confidence: If you treat your body well, you’ll start to have a more positive outlook on your body and you’ll be happier.

Increased metabolism: Even after you’re finish weight training, your body is still burning calories. Your metabolism goes into beast mode which leads to more calories burned at rest.

So the next time you’re afraid to venture into the weight room, remember that in about a month you’ll be in better shape than when you started!

And don’t forget to take it slow. Rushing in and lifting heavy can lead to injuries. Start off light and then work your way up when you feel ready.

Stay strong, Collegiettes!

Print Journalism major with a passion for fitness, health, life, and the simple things. If you want to read more of work, check out my blog: http://naturallymel.wordpress.com/