A Cup of Tia: Remedy Your Rainy Day Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Rainy day slums have plagued us nearly every other day for the past month. I’m surprised I haven’t drowned yet. So besides the obviousness of doing your homework and studying, what else is there to do on these dreary days?

Movies

Holiday Cinemas Stadium – 970 North Colony Road, Wallingford CT
Rave Motion Pictures’ North Haven 12 – 550 Universal Drive, North Haven CT
What to see: The Big Year– Three avid bird watchers (Owen Wilson, Jack Black, Steve Martin) compete to spot the rarest bird in North America at an annual event. With these actors, I bet it’s going to be something funny.
Moneyball– Any movie with Bratt Pitt has to be good and it’s one of the best movies of the year. Need I say more?

Red Box– There’s a great little box placed outside many grocery stores and CVS and about everywhere else. The movies are only $1, so get a bunch while you’re there! Your rental lasts 24 hours, and the late fee is $1 a day, per movie. If you don’t get it back right away, one dollar isn’t such a big deal. 
Hamden Locations: Stop & Shop, Walmart, ShopRite, and CVS Pharmacy

Places to eat:
Panera – 2100 Dixwell Ave, Hamden CT
Their soups are delicious and who doesn’t crave something warm and tasty on a rainy day?

Drougie’s Pizza – 117 Washington Ave, North Haven CT            Phone: 203-239-3000
Perfect for those who’d rather not go out and get wet…Drougie’s delivers! With great pizzas, calzones and even deliverable milkshakes who wouldn’t want to order from here?

Malls:
Westfield Mall – 1201 Boston Post Road, Milford CT
Westfarms Mall – 57 Westfarms, Farmington CT

Other Ideas:

• Go to a comfy little bookstore in New Haven and get lost.
  • Try a new recipe you’ve been dying to cook but haven’t had the time (you’re stuck inside right?!)
  • Take some advice from the romance movies you rented and go play in the rain and puddles. We’re in college but not completely grown up yet.
  • Watch the Harry Potter series, you’ll be wizarding in no time.
  • Let nature wash your car for you.
  • Go buy a new pair of crazy colored rain boots.
  • Find a cute date to cozy up to on the couch.
  • Play board games… yes, those are still around.
  • Make a cup of hot apple cider.
  • Get your millions of piles of laundry done that you’ve been putting off.

Happy Rain Day <3 T

Tia Meyers

Quinnipiac

Tia is a senior public relations and marketing major at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys singing, kayaking, cooking, travelling, and dance. She is an only child and it has made her a very outgoing young woman. Tia’s motto is “you can’t be old and wise if you’re never young and crazy” and believes that you should be a person to look up to, always be true to yourself and to try anything and everything you can. Tia loves to watch tv and read, her favorite show is New Girl and her favorite book is “Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”. Tia is addicted to Dunkin Donuts coffee, rings, peanut butter and the beach.
Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.