A Cup of Tia: Black Friday Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

The time has come to empty out our pockets to fill other people’s stockings and bring them joy. But first, we will probably be left with grimace as we slowly go broke on this crazy, crowded, stampeding women filled day (yes this has happened, be careful). What day am I talking about? Black Friday.

This day marks the start of the Christmas shopping season and while it may seem far away, it isn’t. As we look forward to stuffing our bellies with Thanksgiving goodies and blocking out thoughts of our horrid finals, we sometimes overlook that winter break is only a few weeks away and Christmas, is just around the corner.
Although Black Friday isn’t a holiday, it is one of the busiest shopping days of the season. Start practicing your pivots and darting at the gym and look into some metal toed shoes because these shoppers are serious.

Best Places for Deals on Black Friday

• Kmart- TVs are at very low prices. Any photographers out there looking for a great deal on cameras can find it here.
  • Target- Although they aren’t showing their Black Friday deals yet, they usually have great discounts
  • Best Buy—but be wary of their complicated return policy
  • For more, check out these Black Friday Websites… BlackFriday.com and BlackFriday.us

Tips:

• Look at the Ads and make a detailed list and game plan so you know exactly where to go. Things sell out very early.
  • Wake up and get a coffee. You’re going to need it power shopping.
  • Today is not a day for browsing.
  • Compare prices, even though there are good deals today, there could be better!
  • Be kind and courteous to all employees! This day is no picnic for them, and they’ve given up their holiday relaxation and sleep to make this day possible.
  • There’s night owl discounts on the Internet. Much easier than waiting in long lines! Cyber Monday (November 28) is the online version of Black Friday.
  • Remember to keep your receipts!

Happy Shopping <3 T

Tia Meyers

Quinnipiac

Tia is a senior public relations and marketing major at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys singing, kayaking, cooking, travelling, and dance. She is an only child and it has made her a very outgoing young woman. Tia’s motto is “you can’t be old and wise if you’re never young and crazy” and believes that you should be a person to look up to, always be true to yourself and to try anything and everything you can. Tia loves to watch tv and read, her favorite show is New Girl and her favorite book is “Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”. Tia is addicted to Dunkin Donuts coffee, rings, peanut butter and the beach.
Molly is a senior print journalism major and psychology minor at Quinnipiac University. She enjoys cooking, baking, reading, and spending as much time on the beach as possible. Molly loves to travel, and recently brought home a dog, Kodiak, from Rincon, Puerto Rico in January 2011. She is an aspiring food writer for publications such as Gourmet, and Fine Cooking. In preparation for this career, Molly spent the summer of 2011 working on an organic farm, and hopes to attend the Culinary Institute of America after graduating from QU in the spring. Having been a transfer to Quinnipiac in the fall of her sophomore year, Molly knows the importance of being outgoing and friendly, and hopes to make many wonderful memories during her last year in Hamden.