Computer Games of the Past

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

A fond memory of my childhood was playing CD computer games on the family computer. I was always so excited while I was given time to play these games and I’ll admit, I miss playing them to this day. The days of computer games on a PC give me nostalgia. Now that we our society is glued to our smartphones and laptops, CD-ROM computer games are a thing of the past. So let’s bring back the reminiscent times of computer games, here are my top four favorites:

1. Barbie Riding Club

This game was my favorite of them all. Being a huge fan of Barbie and other dolls, I lived for this game. The game involved choosing and naming your very own horse as well as feeding, grooming, and saddling the horse in preparation for riding the trails. I also loved the scenery of the trails and the obstacles and adventures Barbie encountered. I admit, I miss this game and I secretly hope my future daughters play it.

2.  Freddi Fish

What could be more fun than a fish that is a detective? Freddi’s best friend and sidekick, Luther, accompanied her on her missions. The suspense of traveling through the sea and encountering obstacles was so exciting to see as a child. It also took many levels and tries to solve the mystery, which was frustrating yet entertaining. 

3. Zoombinis 

This game was one of the more challenging and frustrating ones, but I couldn’t give it up. I was always determined to make it to the final level. The Zoombinis are small, blue creatures with unique personalities and physical traits that are trying to escape imprisonment from the evil Bloats who have taken over the Zoombinis’ home, Zoombini Isle. The end goal is to reach safety in Zoombiniville. Two of the most challenging parts of this game were figuring out which pizza toppings Arno wants on his pizza in order to let the Zoombinis pass and cross the bridge safely. When you successfully completed each challenging level, you felt so accomplished. Zoombinis was such a great game and I miss it!

4. Backyard Baseball

My brother got me into this game. The game involved making a team from a selection of neighborhood kids. There were even characters that looked like younger versions of professional MLB players, such as Barry Bonds and Ichiro Suzuki. Getting “aluminum power” on your bat was the most exciting yet frustrating occurrence. If your player couldn’t get a hit with that power, you were so mad at yourself. Also, Pablo Sanchez was the one you wanted on your team because he was SO. GOOD. Such a classic game. 

Have any games from the past you’d like to share? Tweet us @hercampusqu!

Senior at Quinnipiac. I love traveling, shopping, Lake George, family, friends, my two dogs, glitter, and elephants :) Feel free to follow me on Pinterest, as well as Instagram and Twitter @annienoordsy
Caisse Davis

Quinnipiac

Hi, Collegiettes! My name is Caisse. I'm a senior journalism major at Quinnipiac University, just looking to prove my writing other than in a sea of girls in Lily and boys in pastel colored button-ups. Feel free to check out my articles, as well as my personal blog! http://caissedavis.wordpress.com