Style > Beauty

The Best Beauty Products For a $10.00 Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Last week, I went over to CVS to buy a large manila envelope, and somehow ended up in the cosmetics aisle (by “somehow”, I mean I couldn’t resist and voluntarily walked over to it). By the time I got to the checkout counter, I had a basket full of beauty products and ended up spending $73. And, all I needed in the first place was a pack of envelopes that costs $2.30

The moral of the story? College culture means living on a budget, even in the beauty aisle. Yes, it seems so unfair; as females this is the kind of stuff we live for! Unfortunately, we need that extra money to do things like eat food and buy textbooks (so boring), therefore bargain shopping becomes the name of the game.

To ensure that we don’t just buy some crappy product because it’s on sale, I took a look at the annual “Beauty Awards” that so many magazines and websites hold, and gathered the best picks according to price and brand (they’re all under $10!).

If you can’t enter a drugstore without checking out the beauty aisle, or just really need to cut down on cosmetic expenses (there is a recession, people!), this list may just account for the revival of your bank account. I know I could have used it last week….

Hair:

Shampoo & Conditioner – Pantene Pro-V, $4 each
Women’s Health and Cosmopolitan both agree that this is the answer to your hair related woes. The Pantene Pro-V collection comes in countless sub-categories, like “Thick Hair” or “Color Treated Hair”, so it’s an easy choice for anyone.

Hairspray – Tresemme TRES Two Extra Hold Hair Spray, $5

My mom introduced me to this stuff, I introduced it to my roommates, and everyone who’s ever used it has loved it. Oh yeah, and Women’s Health suggests it, too! Perfect for getting a bad hair day…. or any hair day…under control

Frizz Fighter – Tresemme Fresh Start No Frizz Crème, $4
Women’s Health says that this is the best way to tame your frizzy hair. It’s the perfect solution for defrizzing when you’re rushing to class in the A.M.

Makeup:

Concealer – Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer, $8
Did Thursday night hit you harder than you would have liked? Cosmopolitan suggests you hide the evidence under your eyes on Friday morning with this concealer.

Bronzer- Black Radiance Mosaic Bronzer, $3.50
According to Thedailymuse.com, this is the best inexpensive way to get a natural bronze glow – which is super important in the upcoming season! There are four shades in the compact, allowing you to choose one or swirl together depending on what time of year it is and how tan you actually are (or want to appear as) 

Eyeliner – Maybelline Unstoppable Liner, $7
If there’s anything I’ve learned in life, it’s that finding the perfect eyeliner is way harder than it should be. Women’s Health says that this is the last stop on your eyeliner hunt – and for only $7!

Mascara – Covergirl Lashblast Mascara, $7.49
Marie Claire and Cosmopolitan agree that this is the best mascara for affordably batting your long, thick lashes. Goodbye overpriced mascaras, hello wide-eyed beauty.

Eyeshadow – Almay Intense I-Color Smoky-I Kit, $7.50
Kate Hudson isn’t the only one advocating this easy-to-do smoky eye kit – Good Housekeeping agrees that it’s the best eyeshadow deal for under $10. It boasts easy smoky eye guidelines in a variety of shades, so you can wear it morning, noon and night.

Blush – Rimmel London Match Perfection 3 Tone Blush, $5
Multi-tone blush is all the rage, but Cosmopolitan suggests going for Rimmel London’s version when trying the trend. The advantage is that you can either use one of the three hues at a time, or swirl them together for a super custom glow.

Lipstick – Maybelline ColorSensational Lipstick, $7.49
Woman’s Day dubbed this the “Perfect Pout”. Colored lipsticks are all over the runways yet again, so if you’re like me and trying to stock up on as many shades as possible, it’s a good idea to adhere to this perfectly priced choice.

Face & Body:

Body Wash – Olay Body Wash Plus Spa Exfoliating Ribbons, $5.99
This is probably one of the coolest products on this list – according to Marie Claire, this sucker moisturizes, exfoliates, and cleans all at the same time. Sounds like the perfect all-in-one body wash to me!

Deodorant – Dove Ultimate Go Sleeveless Anti-Perspirant, $3.50
Don’t have time to shower between Spinning class and math class? Neither do I. According to Good Housekeeping, this product is the perfect solution for a physically active chick who’s limited on shower time.

Body Lotion – Jergens Crema in Deep-Conditioning Oatmeal $6
Cosmopolitan says that oatmeal is way more than a super healthy breakfast – it keeps your skin healthy too! This moisturizer is essential for the wintertime, when our skin is exposed to harsh climates – and it’s totally affordable, as well!

Face Moisturizer – St. Ives Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin Facial Moisturizer $5.99
There’s probably no feeling that’s worse than having your face feel tight and dry in the cold winter months. Sheknows.com believes that this product is the best fix for not only your flaky skin fears, but for increasing collagen production (they do say you should start an anti-aging regimen when you hit 20!)

Acne Treatment – Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment, $7
As long as there’s not a fire drill at 3 in the morning, overnight acne spot treatments are a great idea. Marie Claire suggests this product for ridding your face of unwanted (are there such thing as “wanted”?) breakouts.

On-The-Go Cleanser – Yes To Blueberries Brightening Facial Towelettes, $8
Looking to make your Sunday morning walk of shame a little less obvious? Good Housekeeping suggests using these instead of lugging around a tube of cleanser – it brightens your face, doesn’t cause a splashy mess in the sink, and rids your face of any stray makeup from the night before.

Makeup Remover – Almay Oil-Free Makeup Eraser Sticks $5.50
Supposedly these are a great, easy, and mess-free way to remove stubborn makeup. Just snap the ends off, and erase away. Good Housekeeping suggests you give it a try!

Extras….Yet Essentials:

Face Mask – Aromatherapaes Toning Face Mud – $1.79/packet
There’s always that day where you’d love nothing more than to hit up a spa and chill the hell out (post mid-terms and finals, anyone?). Sheknows.com suggests using this to mimic the professional-facial feeling; it’s a clay mask that does a deep cleaning of your face, for less than $2.00 per packet!

Nail Polish – O.P.I, $8.00
All of our favorite nail salons are lined with this stuff, so why can’t we have it for ourselves? For a salon brand, this is a pretty good price, and Good Housekeeping agrees. You’ll get a quality manicure from every bottle – even if you have to clean up around the edges after painting them, like I do…

Instant Nail Color – Avon Instant Pedicure, $8
This stuff is so cool – according to Marie Claire, all you have to do is peel the color off and press it onto your toenails for a perfect pedicure in no time. Umm, remind me again why have I been hunched over painting my toes for all this time?

Instant Tan – Jergens Natural Glow Express Body Moisturizer $7.99
Everyone knows someone, or is someone, who uses the Jergens Natural Glow lotion. Marie Claire suggests using this version instead when looking for an instant tan – it still moisturizes, but the tan shows up instantly and does not need days of application before showing up.

Eyebrow Grooming – Parissa Brow Shaper Wax Strips $9
Eyebrow waxing is a tricky trade to master, but Parissa has made it a bit easier for us. Realbeauty.com says that using these pre-shaped strips will give you the perfect brow every time. They reassure you that the strips are miniature, so that you don’t have to worry about waxing too much off accidentally. Sounds like a deal to me!

Eye De-Puffing – Sephora Instant Depuffing Eye Mask, $6
Pulling all-nighters – whether in the library or out with the girls – can take a toll on your eyes for the worse. Rest up while wearing one of these masks – according to Realbeauty.com, they’re the perfect answer for tired, overworked eyes.

Collegiettes: There is no longer a reason to fear the beauty aisle! Everyone loves a good splurge once in a while, but there’s no shame in looking for the best deal…especially if you discover a really great product in the process!

Did I forget anything? Let us know if there’s a product you’d love to snatch at a better price, and we’ll help you out!

Callie Barkley is the Campus Correspondent and a contributing writer for Quinnipiac University. At Quinnipiac, which is located in Callie's home state of Connecticut, she studies Public Relations with a minor in Computer Information Systems and will be graduating in 2014. Callie's writing interests are related to healthy eating, working out, and surviving the intern/job world. When Callie is not focused on her work she loves to spend time with her friends and family, travel, and will take up any offer to have a little fun!