A Beginner’s Guide to Makeup: Primers and Foundations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Today marks the final part of HCQU’s Beginner’s Guide to Makeup.  I present to you: primers and foundations.  Before we start, we all know that as a girl, it can be quite difficult to figure out your correct foundation shade.  I have two recommendations to help you in this process before releasing you to do your own makeup research.

Tip 1:  If you chose to splurge on a high-end foundation or concealer, ask for a sample before buying the full size!  In doing so, you give time to allow the product of choice to be incorporated into your normal regimen.  You’ll be able to figure out how long it will last, whether you prefer to use a primer with it—Ahem….Primer is the key to long-lasting makeup—, whether it is the consistency you like, and whether it provides the coverage you would like.

Tip 2:  Watch these YouTube videos by fellow beauty gurus to understand how to select your appropriate shade and to get tips on how to get the job done:

Why You May be Wearing the Wrong Foundation

10 Steps to Flawless Foundation 

How to Find Your Foundation Shade

How To: Find the Perfect Foundation

How to Shade Match Foundation

OK, now we proceed!

Primers

A primer is usually applied after moisturizer and before foundation or powder to provide a smooth surface for the makeup to adhere to.  It is among the beauty products that keep your makeup in place, especially during the humidity of summer and long days at school and work.  There are a variety of types of primers to select from.  Below are my recommendations, but, in the end, selecting a primer for you depends on your skin needs and personal preference.

Too Faced Primer

The reason I like Too Faced primers is because they work according to your skin type and the final look you are looking to create.  The Hangover primer brightens the skin and gives you an awake but dewy final look.

Available at Ulta for $32

The Prime and Poreless primer is one of those primers where a little (a pea-sized amount) goes a long way.  It minimizes large pores and furthermore, it is hydrating for those with dry skin.  Just make sure to give it a bit of time to absorb into your skin before proceeding with your normal makeup routine.  I usually say five minutes and you are good to go.

Available at Sephora for $30

NYX Pore Filling Primer

This is by far one of my favorite primers!  It has such a smooth and velvet-like consistency, and it applies like butter.  Best of all, it is a part of line of fabulous products that last as long as high-end products.

Available at Target for $12.99

Foundations

Revlon ColorStay Foundation

This foundation is the definition of an oldie-but-goodie, and it is essentially my holy grail.  I have been using this foundation for about three years now.  I have tried others, and I still come back to this one.

The reason this foundation is my absolute favorite is because it does what it says. It is a medium-to-full coverage foundation, and the fact that it is affordable makes it all the more loveable!

This foundation has formulas that cater to all skin types: dry to normal to oily to combination, and furthermore, the color range is versatile and caters to all shades.  If you are in between shades, usually a combination of two will solve your problem and create a seamless color for your skin.

Available at Walgreens for $12.49

Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

Now this one here is a splurge, but I have heard nothing but positive things about it since it hit the shelves at Sephora.  Apparently, formula is the epitome of lightweight full coverage, and this is one of those high-end foundations that will truly last you or a very long time…Again, a little goes a long way.

This makes sense, as the person who created the formula is covered in tattoos and has had to learn to cover up seamlessly.  Hit up YouTube to see other reviews and try-ons of this product!

Available at Sephora for $34 (Truly a bang for your buck!)

I hope the end of this list is significantly helpful in the hunt for your ideal primer and foundation.  On that note, hold on tight….Thanksgiving break is right around the corner, and before you know it, the first semester will be over.  Soon enough, you will reek of fabulosity, as you spend time with the family for the holidays.  Until then, enjoy, and make it a great week!  Ciao, collegiettes!

I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!