A Beginner’s Guide to Makeup: Liners and Mascaras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

We’re back for another round of makeup, and this time I bring you the three best liners and mascaras to start and/or add to your kit.  With liners, one can chose from gel, liquid or pencil—each with a particular finish and amount of wear when used with the proper primer.  But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  We’ll start with mascaras.

Best Mascaras

Cover Girl Clump Crusher by Last Blast

This mascara is by far my favorite!  The way that it lengthens the lashes and gives volume is phenomenal, especially for a drug store brand.  The brush is great, as it is curved and combed on both sides so you’re able to deposit the mascara efficiently and avoid clumps.

The best way to apply any mascara is to apply one coat, wait for it to dry, and then apply the next, and then the same thereafter until you have achieved the look that you like.

L’Oreal Telescopic Carbon Black Mascara

I particularly like this mascara, as it is great at lengthening the lashes.  It does give a volume, but not as much as the one listed above.  The wand on this mascara is a comb, and this formula is actually quite wet, which is somewhat of an advantage because it allows you to comb through your lashes.  With such a formula, it is key that you let eat coat dry or else it will seem like the mascara isn’t working as you’d like it to.

Benefits Cosmetics They’re Real! Mascara

This mascara is constantly raved about, and there is a reason for that!  It is so great, as the wand allows you to cover your lashes from base to tip.  Furthermore, it is great at getting to your lower lashes and even the tiniest of them.  This, too, increases length and volume and gives you a silky finish.  This a bit of a splurge, but you won’t regret it!

Best Liners

Best Pencil: Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal Pencil

Pencil is the best for the eyeliner beginner.  The best part about this liner is that it does not smear when placed on the water line.  It is also highly pigmented and applies on just as creamily as a gel would.

This liner is a great segway to using gel liner.  It is fairly basic and great for practice!

Best Gel: Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Liner

The creaminess of this formula is to die for!  This was one of the first liners that I tried when I got into makeup, and it is an oldie but goodie.  It goes on smooth and dries with a slight sheen.  It is best on the top lash line and definitely lasts all day.

It is great for beginners and can be easily corrected with a Q-tip and some witch hazel or alcohol if necessary.

Best Liquid: Rimmel London Glam’Eyes Professional Liquid Liner

Liquid liner is about the most difficult to use for a beginner, but with practice one can build a steady hand to master the precision of a liquid liner.  This liner goes on great by itself but creates even more drama when applied over pencil or gel.

Furthermore, the tip of the brush is designed to make it easy to apply the liner close the lash line…perfect for an everyday look or a winged cat eye for a night out.

These liners and mascaras are fairly easy to use, and best of all, they are affordable on a collegiate budget.  I hope this guide has been helpful.

Look out for the final installment of this makeup guide next week!  Until next time, collegiates.  Ciao and happy shopping!

I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!