All the Single Ladies! 5 Reasons to Stay Single in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Are you going through college feeling like you are missing out on having that quintessential “college relationship”? I’ve known many girls who have watched their college nights pass them by because they’ve been so preoccupied with finding Mr. Right. All that time pining away could have been filled with making great friendships, getting more involved on campus, and just some carefree fun! Although some girls have great relationships throughout their college years, here are five reasons why it is best to stay single:

1) Freedom to Flirt
While a devoted and monogamous relationship can be wonderful, intense, and very fulfilling, college is a great opportunity to explore the different kinds of candy in the candy store: chocolate, vanilla, red hots, soft centered, and sweet. Imagine going out on a Friday night with the girls and being unable to explore your manly options. Some girls flirt even if they are in a relationship. This usually leads to an inevitable argument and further frustration. Being unattached allows you the freedom to flip your hair, bat your eye lashes and lick your lips at whatever flavor you’re in the mood for.

2) Girlfriends last forever
College is a place where great friendships are formed, and will usually last forever. If you are constantly obsessed with finding a boyfriend, you may miss out on important roommate/girlfriend bonding. Having a close network of girlfriends is very important, and those relationships will last way after you receive your diploma. I’m not saying that you can’t have a boyfriend and keep close with your girls, but it is important to give them as much time as you would give your boyfriend. However, if you and your friends are all single, you can decide what kind of night you want to have: a girls-only bonding night or a flirt-for-all where your girls can vote yay or nay on your man candy for the night. Boyfriends come and go, but girlfriends are forever.

3) Get to know yourself
Not only is college the place to get to know your girlfriends, it is also the place to get to know yourself. I can say from experience that I am a completely different person now as a senior than I was as a freshman. You need to take the time to form your own values, figure out what you want from life and time to become comfortable in your own skin. If you are fully investing yourself in a boyfriend – getting to know what he likes, what he wants from life, and how to make him happy – you may find yourself lost and confused about your own life. It is difficult to be confident in and love another person if you don’t have self-confidence or fully love yourself.

4) Strengthen your resume
Use college as a chance to get involved with things that interest you. College is supposed to be a time where you figure out your passions and decide what you want to do for your future. It exposes you to exciting new opportunities which could pave your way to a future career. Becoming involved on campus and investing yourself academically will also provide you with a stellar resume. Although most girls are interested in boys, that doesn’t mean they have to major in their boyfriend. How disappointing would it be if a girl broke up with her boyfriend and is left with a lackluster resume because she invested all her extra time with her boyfriend? My advice: put the boyfriend on the backburner, keep a high gpa, join clubs and campus organizations, meet tons of new people, and graduate with a resume that reflects an interesting and well rounded individual.

5) Nada Drama
I don’t know about you, but I think college is a time to be selfish. This may sound bad, but it’s true! Having a boyfriend means constantly having to consider them in your daily decisions and routine. This may be fine for some people, but I like having the freedom to do what I want, when I want. Being single allows you to study when you want, fit clubs into your own schedule, and party as hard as you want, whenever you want to. You don’t have to make excuses for anything or explain yourself to anyone. Being an independent woman and answering to no man, leads to a simple, drama free life.

These are only a few fabulous reasons to stay single throughout college. However, even if you are in a relationship, it is important to keep some of the above points in mind. Make sure you get to know yourself and become comfortable in your own skin. Remain an independent woman, even if you do have another half. Get involved and keep your resume strong and diverse. And finally, be sure to make time for your girlfriends. Plan a girls night or just have lunch together! It is important to realize that your relationships with your friends are just as significant as any romantic relationship.

My name is Ciara Duggan. I am a senior public relations major at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT. I love to write about everything and anything and I love writing for Her Campus Quinnipiac.