Alcohol’s Effect: The Good and the Bad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

In lieu of St. Patrick’s Day, it is an appropriate time to discuss alcohol. After all, nothing says St. Patty’s day like a plate of corn beef and cabbage with a pint of ale. But, have you ever stopped to think about what affects alcohol has on your body? Maybe you only drink on special occasions, such as this holiday, or perhaps it is something you do with friends every weekend. No matter which category you fall into, alcohol, when consumed, has both short-term and long-term effects.

The Good

Alcohol is typically not associated with something that is part of a healthy lifestyle. However, research has shown that moderate drinking may help reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and help increase good cholesterol levels in older women. Alcohol can also help reduce stress, proving there to be some validity behind hearing your mother say that she wants nothing more than to wind down after a long day with a glass of wine and a good book. For young adults, alcohol helps induce a state of euphoria, making you in turn feel excited and happy. 

The Bad

With everything good comes something not so good. Alcohol has an endless amount of negative connotations associated with it. From underage drinking, to drunk driving and alcohol poisoning, there are many ways that an individual can personally harm themselves when under the influence of alcohol. Because alcohol affects how the brain functions, it can alter a person’s mood and their behavior. While some people enter a state of euphoria, others become angry and violent. Loosing self-control makes a person susceptible to putting themselves in dangerous situations, such as getting injured falling down, engaging in risky sexual behaviors, or saying something inappropriate that is bound to be regretted in the morning.

In terms of the body’s functioning, alcohol can weaken the immune system. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, the liver is responsible for breaking down consumed alcohol, making it susceptible to damage as this process produces harmful toxins. If excessive drinking continues to occur for a long period of time, an individual can develop cirrhosis of the liver, which is when scar tissue builds up, preventing the liver from performing its vital bodily functions. 

Caloric Intake

Even though alcohol is a beverage, it is still full of calories. According to the USDA, females between the ages of 19 and 30 should have 2,000 calories per day and only 260 empty calories. Alcohol is classified as an empty calorie, which is a food or beverage with no nutritional value. According to the CDC, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends that moderately drinking for a woman consist of just one drink per day. If you are looking to stay within target of your recommended daily caloric intake, you will soon discover that having a ‘few’ drinks is actually going to come at a cost. Looking at Guinness beer for instance, a 16 ounce pint of beer equals to about 168 calories. So, if you plan on having a pint on St. Patty’s day, know that one would be your limit for the day. A 12 ounce bottle of Heineken beer equals about 125 calories, which is slightly less, but when considering that you are probably going to have more than one beer, the calories quickly add up.  

So, go ahead and say “Cheers!” with a pint of ale, but remember alcohol is not just another beverage to carelessly toss back; be smart, be responsibly, and be in control.