ABC’s 25 Days of Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

It’s official: We are finally in the Holiday season! Christmas is being bombarded at us (and I am definitely not complaining!) There are so many television stations showing so many Christmas movies and television specials that it could get overwhelming to pick which movie to watch and on what channel. ABC Family has put together their annual 25 Days of Christmas lineup, covering the best Christmas movies of all time, starting on December 1 and running through December 25.

There may be so many options of shows to watch, but there are certain Christmas movies that you absolutely cannot miss! Here are my top five must- sees:

1.Elf: For those of you who have never seen Elf, I can’t help but tell you that you have to watch it! It is by far one of the funniest Christmas movies ever.  In the movie, you will follow Buddy the Elf travel from the North Pole to New York City to meet his real father. You’ll end up laughing till you cry over and over again, while getting in the Christmas spirit. I mean, who doesn’t laugh hysterically at a Will Ferrell movie?! This also has to be one of the most quotable Christmas movies to ever exist. “Santa, I know him!!!”  Plus, you are in luck: there are multiple chances for you to watch this! Check out Elf on December first at 8 pm and 10 pm, December 2nd at 5 pm, December 4th at 8 pm, December 5th at 5 pm, December 6th at 10 pm and midnight, and December 7th at 3 pm.

2.Holiday in Handcuffs: Recently, it seems that ABC Family movies have been either hit or miss – but this movie is a total hit, and right on target! Featuring Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez, it’s a 90’s girls dream to see Sabrina the Teenage Witch and A.C. Slater in a movie together! This holiday rom-com is something I look forward to every year to see during the holiday season. I love watching Melissa Joan Hart’s character kidnap Mario Lopez’s character as they live out a crazy Christmas adventure as fake boyfriend and girlfriend, after Hart’s original movie boyfriend broke up with her on Christmas Eve. Make sure to add it to your list of must see holiday rom-coms that will completely suck you in! Check out Holiday in Handcuffs on December 9th at 6 pm December 11th at midnight, and December 21st at 5 pm and midnight.

3.The Polar Express: This computer-generated animated film has warmed the hearts of many people since the moment it came out in 2004, including my own! This movie lets you bring out the inner child in you while traveling with an unnamed boy on the Christmas Eve adventure of a life time while he takes a train up to the North Pole to see the one and only Santa Claus. Let’s be honest, that was everyone’s dream at some point when they were a child. This movie lets you relive your childhood excitement of Christmas over and over again. Check out Polar Express on December 5th at 9 pm, December 13th at 9 pm, December 14th at 5 pm, December 18th at 10 pm, December 19th at 7 pm, December 23rd at 5 pm, and December 24th at 1 pm.

4.The Year Without A Santa Claus: This 1974 puppet animation movie has been my favorite Christmas movie for absolutely as long as I remember. If you ever saw it, it most likely was when you were a child. Though I am now 18, I still manage to find myself in front of the television every time this is on to watch as two elves try to save Christmas after Santa becomes ill. I can never seem to get enough of the Miser Brother hijinks or constant hope and Christmas spirit all throughout the movie. It quickly brings a smile to my face and can do the exact same for yours. It’s also a great movie to watch with any young family members! Check out The Year Without a Santa Claus on  December 3rd at 8 pm and 10 pm, December 10th at 8 pm, December 14th at 7 pm, December 15th at 11 pm, December 16th at 1 pm, and December 22nd at 4 pm.

5.National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation:  This seems to be a holiday movie best-kept secret. Since it was filmed in 1989, many people our age do not seem to know about this movie. However, this movie is a family classic due to the complete hysterics the Griswold family endures. Watch as Christmas quickly turns into complete hijacks and a complete disaster for Clark Griswold and his family. Every girl loves a good 80’s movie, so add in some holiday fun and it makes for a great flick! Check out National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation  on December 12th at 9 pm, December 13th at 7 pm, December 20th at 9 pm, December 21st at 7 pm, December 24th at midnight, and December 25th at 9 pm.

Grab a big bowl of popcorn, some hot chocolate, and your favorite pair of pajamas and enjoy the movies!

For a complete schedule of ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas line up, check out: http://beta.abcfamily.go.com/specials/25-days-christmas/blogs/daily-jingle/25-days-of-christmas-schedule

Sami Moore

Quinnipiac