6 Yummy Post-Halloween Treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Do you have tons of leftover Halloween treats?  Looking to make something yummy with your friends?  No worries because the girls of Her Campus Quinnipiac came up with a list of delectable post-Halloween treats.  Check ‘em out!

1.  Muddy Buddy Halloween Mix

Ingredients:

9 cups Corn or Rice Chex Cereal

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup peanut butter

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 1/2 cups candy corn

1 1/2 cups Reese’s Pieces

2 cups pretzels (can be the minis, regular, sticks)

Instructions:

• Pour Chex Cereal in a large bowl and set aside. 
  • In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter together on high for one minute.  Stir and return to microwave, heating in 30-second increments until melted together and smooth.  Stir in vanilla.
  • Pour chocolate-peanut butter mixture over the cereal and gently stir to coat.  Place cereal in a large Ziplock bag, pour powdered sugar in, seal and shake until evenly coated.
  • Spread cereal out on to wax paper and let cool completely.  
  • In a large bowl, combine cereal, candy corn, Reese’s Pieces, and pretzels.  Store in an air-tight container.

2.  Candy Corn Pretzel Hugs

Ingredients:

Circle or square-shaped pretzels

Hershey’s Kisses Hugs (or any flavor Kiss)

Candy Corn

Instructions:

• Preheat oven to 250F degrees.
  • Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  Align pretzels on the sheet.  Unwrap Hugs and place one on each pretzel.  Stick in the oven until the Hug begins to melt down.
  • While the Hugs are melting in the oven, get your candy corn ready because you will have to move quickly once the pretzels are out of the oven.
  • Remove pretzel Hugs from oven and gently press a candy corn down on each one.  The Hug should flatten out when you press the candy corn on it.  If it is not flattening out, place the pretzel hugs back in the oven for 30 more seconds.
  • Let the pretzel Hugs cool completely and let the chocolate set for about 10 minutes in the refrigerator.

3. Witches’ Hats Treats

Ingredients:

Fudge-covered cookies (i.e. Grasshoppers, Fudge Stripes)

Hershey’s Kisses

Frosting in Halloween colors

Instructions:

• You can either buy colored frosting or get a tub of white frosting and add food coloring.
  • Transfer icing to piping bag or zippered bag and clip a corner.
  • If you are using cookies that are only fudge-covered on one side, make sure that side is facing upward.
  • Pipe icing in the middle to act as “glue” and place an unwrapped Kiss in the middle.
  • If you like, you can pipe extra icing around the Kiss to up the look.

4.  Oreo Dirt Cups

Ingredients:

2 cups cold milk

1 package (4 oz.) chocolate instant pudding

1-8 oz. container whipped topping, thawed (Cool Whip)

1 package (16 oz.) Oreos (crushed into crumbs)

Gummy worms

Plastic cups

Instructions:

• Pour the milk into a mixing bowl and add the pudding mix.
  • Beat with a wire whisk until well blended (about 2 minutes).
  • Let pudding stand for five minutes.
  • Stir whipped topping into the pudding very gently until it is all the same color.
  • Place about 1 Tablespoon of the crushed cookies into the bottom of each cup.
  • Then add 2 Tablespoons of pudding to each cup.
  • Then repeat another layer of cookies, then pudding, and then cookies.
  • Finish up by adding 2 gummy worms cut in half to the top of each of the cups.  Put cups into the refrigerator for about one hour to chill them.

5.  Strawberry ghosts

Ingredients:

1 package white chocolate chips

Fresh strawberries

Mini chocolate chips

Instructions:

• Melt white chocolate chips in a saucepan.
  • Place a large piece of wax or parchment paper on a flat surface.
  • Dip strawberries in melted white chocolate, remove and allow the excess coating to pour off onto the wax paper to form the “tail” of the ghost; slide the strawberry back and set on wax paper to dry.
  • Before coating has set, place two mini chocolate chips on as the eyes.  For the mouth, cut off the tip of a mini chocolate chip and place it on the strawberry with the bottom side facing up.

6.  Milk Chocolate Bark

Ingredients:

For this sweet treat, you can be really creative.  Try pretzels, M&M’s, Kit Kats, Rolos, etc.

You will also need milk, white, or dark chocolate.

Instructions:

• Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.  Pour a bowl of melted chocolate onto each sheet and spread with a spatula to an even thickness.
  • Sprinkle with candy toppings while still warm, pressing them in slightly to adhere.
  • Let set for about 1 hour to cool completely before breaking into pieces with your hands or a chef’s knife.

These are some of our favorite Halloween treats.  (Pinterest really comes in handy this time of year!)  Try one or more of these recipes yourself and upload a picture to Twitter or Instagram; don’t forget to tag us @hercampusqu.

Happy late Halloween, collegiettes!

Senior at Quinnipiac. I love traveling, shopping, Lake George, family, friends, my two dogs, glitter, and elephants :) Feel free to follow me on Pinterest, as well as Instagram and Twitter @annienoordsy
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!