5 Ways to Learn to Love Your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

There are numerous beautifully shaped bodies out there that have yet to be loved and accepted for every curve that they have been blessed with.  Here are five things to remember when you need to remind yourself that your body is beautiful:

1.  You don’t need validation from anyone else to feel good about yourself.

Your body is yours and should not be dictated by some fool at Toad’s or some guy you like that thinks you should have more here and less there.  No!  These people don’t dictate your life.  You do.  If there is someone who doesn’t like your body, you tell them to close their eyes because obviously they want to be blind.  YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!  As long as you’re not treating others with disrespect or malice, there is no problem with being you!

2.  Stand in the mirror naked.

I urge you to do this when no one is around; you still need some mystery when it comes to your body.  However, the best way to appreciate your body is to see all of it.  Enjoy the time you have with your body and look at every inch of you and find the happiness that is your body.  Your body is your wonderland; you can see how beautifully crafted your curves are and find the joy of accepting your body for everything it has to offer.  See that you are stunning because of your body.  It’s OK to love yourself!

3.  Set up clear boundaries and remove the negative people from your life.

If the people you surround yourself with are not adding to the dynamic of your life and make you feel like you are beneath them…if they don’t like how you look, dress, or your “social status”, then they need move on with their lives and let you be great.  If they are not helping you progress into becoming the adult you want or need to be, then they can leave.  This may seem like a heartless approach, but you should always want more for yourself, and anyone who loves and cares about you will understand that.

4.  Explore and do things that make you happy.

Do what makes you happy.  Like I said before, if you are not harming anyone and you are not being negative towards others, then I see no problem doing exactly what you want.  Ladies, we are in college.  This is the perfect time to figure out who you are and what you want and don’t want in your life.

If you want try a new adventure like taking yoga here on campus, taking a boxing class, hiking, or exploring minors like Women’s Studies, Dispute Resolution, Theatre, Sports Studies, or Scriptwriting…then do it!  You are in charge of your happiness, so get out there and explore!

5.  You are beautiful.

There is no advice to this, no long sentences: You are beautiful.  You are invincible.  You are a powerful woman, and nothing can stand in your way of being happy.

My name is Tori Batiste and I am a current junior at Quinnipiac University studying Film and Women's Studies. I am a Texas native and cant wait for life to bring more happiness and joy. I enjoy anything that can spark my imagination and that challenges me. I have so much to share with the world that I just cant help but express myself.
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!