5 Reasons Guys Just Can’t Stop Staring At Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

You’re walking down to the café with your friends, when you pass the same group of guys that’s been shooting stares your way all semester. Laughing, you and your friends brush it off.

You’re out at Toads, dancing with your girls. Through the crowd you see the same group of guys; it seems that they’re creeping, until you all recognize that they’re just straight up staring.

So, why do they stare? And what do they mean in different contexts? Read on to de-code the reason guys just can’t stop staring at us!

1. The Mating Stare: Have you ever observed animals in the wild? Helen E. Fisher writes in her article The Biology of Attraction that baboons stare at each other during courtship. If interested, the female baboon can return the stare. So ladies, if you’re interested, give him a little look to confirm the attraction! However, if this guy is anything like babboons in the wild, you should prepare for a lifelong commitment.

2. You Smell Great: You were more than likely wearing your best perfume when you encountered the stare. When walking past the person who stares, squint your eyes a little and you may just see a trail of your perfume entering his nose. If he takes a long inhale, then you know it’s the perfume. Fisher said that even our natural body odors can attract others. Should you stop wearing your best perfume and quit on showering? No! Let him keep on inhaling.

3. True Creepers: This stare frightens me the most. This is the “I want to talk to you, but I’m going to stare until you approach me” stare.  My first encounter with it was when I was getting food; happily waiting in line, I looked up and it hit me straight on. I was caught off guard and forever scarred. Relieved when the line started to pick up the pace, I left the vicinity, as I advise all fellow collegiettes to do in similar situations!

4. You Have Da Booty: Have you been hitting the gym since the New Year started? Then girl, that could be where the direction of the stare is aimed. Instead of complimenting your bum verbally, they’ll send the signal through their eyes. Take it for what it is and let it add a little self-esteem boost to your day!

Keep on squatting ladies, keep on.

5. Dance With Me: The music is bumping, you and your girls are dancing—so why is he staring? He wants to dance with you, of course. But will he initiate it? Nope! He wants you to do it. So don’t be alarmed, because you will occasionally catch his eye as he is leaning against the wall, waiting for you.  If you’re not feeling him, then shimmy your way to the other side.

Have you received any of these stares? If so, tell us your best stories by tweeting @Hercampusqu!

This is a satirical article and is not mean to be taken too seriously.

Helen E. Fisher’s article: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199303/the-biology-attraction

Print Journalism major with a passion for fitness, health, life, and the simple things. If you want to read more of work, check out my blog: http://naturallymel.wordpress.com/