5 QU Fashion Faux Pas (Part II)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

As promised, I’m back with fashion faux pas that need to be stopped.  Maybe it’s the uncomfortably warm October weather or the fact that the mornings are cold and the afternoons are sunny, but there seem to be some changes happening on campus when it comes to outfit choices.

Without further adieu, allow me to serve you with the last five fashion faux pas seen across our beautiful campus.  Here we go:

1.  Wrong undergarment color

WHAT WOULD YOUR MOTHER SAY?

I should not be able to see that you are wearing a cheetah print bra or—even worse—a neon bra from across the quad.  If you are wearing a white or black shirt, stick to the same colored bra as the shirt itself or wear nude.  (You can never go wrong there.  Pinky promise.)

2.  UGG boots and shorts

Just stop:

Just in case you haven’t checked your calendar, allow me to give a personal PSA: we are no longer in summer.  There is nothing wrong with trying to enjoy the last itty bits of summer that just so happen to pop up on certain days in the fall, but avoid trying to “mix and match” the seasons because of the weather.  If you are going to wear shorts, keep it cute and wear your shorts with sandals, flip-flops, converse, moccasins or flats and put away the UGG boots for late nights in the library and when we reach the days when it is consistently 40°.

3.  “Fashion” UGGs

Don’t do this:  (Let it go.  Seriously.)

(A-OK!)

Um, are we still in middle school?  UGGs are conventional, as they keep your feet warm throughout the winter and survive mostly any weather.  When you wear those things, it makes your feet look like a bunch of kindergarteners went to town on your feet during arts and crafts time.  The sparkly UGGS and the print UGGs need to be left in 2007.  Stick to solid colors, as they will allow you to still look put together throughout the winter, and most importantly, you will be one step closer to looking your age.

4.  Crop tops with low rise jeans

Just don’t:

Do:

No wants to look like a middle-schooler trying to pass for a senior in high school or vice versa.  This outfit idea is a hit or miss.  If your crop top is too short or is essentially a bandeau then you fail miserably; if it is too long, then it just looks entirely awkward and worst off, it is as though you cannot fit into your own clothes.  If you are going to do this, consider trying skinny jeans.  You can look decent enough for a day filled with classes that can still transfer over to a night out.

5.  See-through leggings

NEVER:

Yes, well done:

This is an absolute no-no and should be a crime everywhere and anywhere.  I can assure you that the rest of the world does not need to and does not want to know the color of your thong for the day.  Worst of all, if you just so happen to bend over and your sweater is not as long as it should be, the world will be seeing a show they were never interested in paying for.  Do yourself a favor: stay warm and keep it classy with a simple pair of cotton black leggings.

It’s been real, collegiettes.  Hopefully this list and the original one have been helpful in some way.  These are among the most common fashion choices gone wrong seen among college students.

And don’t worry.  There is no need to revamp your entire wardrobe.  It is all about taking baby steps to figure what needs to be swapped here and added there.  You deserve to look and feel your best, ladies!

I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!