5 Great Places to Eat Around QU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

There comes a point in your college career here at Quinnipiac where you can only take so much of Chartwells. You begin to catch on to their repeated meals, such as the “Fake Chinese”, and their “Italian food” which is really chicken tenders covered in sauce and cheese. It’s even worse on the weekend, when Au Bon and the Sushi place are closed, only leaving you with breakfast and soup until 4 pm or until the Rat opens. Not to mention if you’re gluten free, because then you are really screwed because the station is closed for the WHOLE weekend. Luckily, I have found a couple of places nearby where you can get a good meal that isn’t too expensive but successfully satisfies your taste buds.

1. Eli’s On Whitney

Eli’s is definitely the most well known place by Quinnipiac students and really anyone in Hamden. They have a great selection of food including burgers, sandwiches, salads, steak, tacos, flatbread pizzas and more! Their meals can be a little on the pricey side, but if you go with friends it’ll reduce the cost. Eli’s is also a good place for people that are gluten free or have allergies because they accommodate to your requests and will make the meal the way you want it. On top of all of this, this restaurant is a great hangout spot to watch games or just hangout with friends and crack open a cold one. Highly recommend Eli’s!

2. Roost

Another place not too far from Eli’s that is a great spot is Roost! It is a chicken-centered restaurant that is similar to Shake Shack, incorporating the quick-bite theme. Their meals include chicken sandwiches and burgers, such as the “Chicken and Waffles”, “Carolina Buffalo” which is fried chicken, buffalo sauce, bleu cheese and celery slaw on a bun, and bowls such as the “Grain Goddess” which is farro, broccoli, grape tomatoes, corn, arugula, and dressing. Roost is relatively inexpensive, with prices ranging from $6-12. It is also a good spot to just chill at, especially with their outside seating.

3. Ixtapa

If you’re in the mood for mexican, Ixtapa is the place to go. They’re your typical Mexican restaurant with the usual fajitas, burritos, quesadillas, and tacos. They also have a cool range of drinks as well, if you are 21 and looking to enjoy a couple of margarita’s or pina coladas. Just try not to overdo it on the chips and salsa because you will be stuffed before the drinks even come! Ixtapa is also not crazy pricey, so go and check it out!

4. Side Street

You probably have only heard of Side Street if you’re an upperclassman because it is one of the popular drinking spots in Hamden. Side Street is a hidden grille/pub behind the UPS store on Whitney. They’re great if you’re feeling bar food like burgers, wings, ribs, and BBq meals. They have a huge variety of wings ranging from 10 to 1725 pieces- yup that’s right, and from honey BBQ to general TSO. The place is split in half with a bar on one side and grille on the other, so you can enjoy the best of both worlds as well!

5. Brownstone House

Brownstone House is right across from Eli’s and is a good breakfast/lunch spot! If you go for breakfast, you can expect awesome waffles, pancakes, french toast, breakfast sandwiches and many more! Their lunch menu includes the typical salads, club sandwiches and wraps, soups, tenders and burgers. Brownstone is a cute, trendy spot that is popular in the area. If you have not checked this place out yet, go next Sunday for some brunch!

Kaitlyn Berlanga

Quinnipiac '20

The sweetest, sassiest, most sarcastic girl you'll ever meet. Writing articles to better the lives of us girls :)