4 Mistakes College Women Make in Long Distance Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

College life is infamous for making the dating-world difficult, especially for couples in long distance relationships. It seems that boyfriends and girlfriends are having a hard time trusting one another away at school where temptations to cheat are so rampant. However, it is important to remember that being in a relationship shouldn’t change the fun you are already having. Here are the 4 worst mistakes college girls can make.

1.     Staying home

a.     Going to parties and clubs without your significant other is a sensitive issue in the college dating world more than ever before. Many girls fall into the all-to-easy trap of believing that declining invites to parties is absolutely normal, and they may be even more convinced their boyfriends will return the favor. However, this “if you don’t go, I won’t go” attitude is an unhealthy revamping of your college experience. You won’t get these years back, so make the most of enjoying the social scene while you’re still apart of it.

2.     Sugarcoating

a.     While it is probably much more appealing to pass off a wild night out with the senior class as a casual movie date with your girlfriends, lying of any kind usually results in keeping track of a massive web of stories. Let’s also not forget, the fact that you’re going to a bar and planning on having a great time is nothing to hide. Although your intention may simply be to prevent him from worrying about you for no reason, how fast would you attack him if you heard he was really partying when he said he’d be studying? Being honest about how you’ll spend the weekend eliminates hurt feelings and lost trust for unnecessary reasons.

3.     Fashion policing

a.     Let’s face it: no guy wants his smoking hot girlfriend at a club in an itty-bitty dress while he isn’t around. However, there is a fine line between sending your boyfriend a picture of your hilarious frat-party costume for laughs and routinely snapping pictures so he can decide if your outfit sends the “I have a boyfriend” message. While his hint of jealousy may secretly make you smile, don’t be so quick to make another trip to the closet.  Remember, you were perfectly capable of dressing yourself before he became part of the picture, and he should have accepted your style before you made things official.

4.     Ditching the boys

a.     It is likely that you had a well-balanced group of guy friends before you started your dating boyfriend, and, if so, it’s probably more likely that he isn’t a fan of you hanging out with some of them. In his defense, you’ve probably checked out his group of girl friends and been less than thrilled that he grabs lunch with a cute blond a couple times a week. However, keep in mind that you chose to surround yourself with these people for a reason, and it is perfectly okay for the both of you to keep these friends while you’re in a relationship. As much as it may be hard to fight, appearing outwardly threatened by the opposite sex is so high school, guy or girl. 

Hi I'm Marisa. I'm from Westchester, New York and I'm 21 years old. I am studying Public Relations at Quinnipiac University and I love running, baking, and shopping.