30 Things I’ve Learned by Age 18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

College is a time to find yourself and grow along the way. With this comes many life experiences– so here’s 30 things I’ve learned by age 18:

1. Always carry a water bottle on you.
  2. Make a budget for yourself. Put half of your paycheck away, put a quarter toward your gas tank and put the other quarter in your pocket for spending.
  3. Don’t play it safe with chicken– explore your food options. Make your taste buds dance and embrace being a foodie! 
  4. If you’re too nervous to send a text, just close your eyes and send it anyway. You typed the shit out for a reason, girl!
  5. Stay out late, but wake up early. There’s nothing worse than wasting your day.
  6. If something makes you laugh until tears are streaming down your face, write it down somewhere. You’re going to want to look back on the memory fondly someday.
  7. Carry an extra lighter around with you. Even if you don’t smoke, someone around you does.
  8. If you think of something in the middle of a conversation, put up your finger but wait for them to finish. It’ll allow you to remember what you wanted to say.
  9. Go to concerts. Outdoor, indoor. All of them.
  10. Get drunk with your friends, but never sloppy drunk.
  11. Keep a change of undies in your backpack or your purse.
  12. Keep $20 in cash on you at all times. Gas is cheaper when you pay with cash and not everywhere you go to eat will split your check!
  13. Sex stores are fun, especially if you’re looking for a laugh.
  14. It’s okay to be sad, but try to remember what makes you happy. Chances are, there are more things to be happy about.
  15. Don’t go a day without telling your friends how much you love them.
  16. Boys are never worth it.
  17. Plan days out with your friends so that you’re not stuck in a lazy daze all day. 
  18. Drink your weight in water! Not only is it good for your skin, but it’ll cleanse your body and keep everything working properly.
  19. You’re allowed to be happy– don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
  20. Some days are better than others.
  21. Aim to be better, not bitter.
  22. Take those extra hours at work. Your feet might hurt after the shift, but you won’t be thinking about that with an extra $100 on your paycheck.
  23. Take tons of pictures. Be obnoxious with it, actually. Later when you scroll through your camera roll, you’ll remember everything about that day.
  24. Keep a journal. Write down your dreams, your thoughts, your favorite quotes.
  25. Tell the truth.
  26. If you have to, make the first move. It’s scary but someone has to do it.
  27. Clean your f*cking room. You’ll feel so much better when you do it.
  28. Thank your mom often.
  29. Try to read a book every two weeks, it’ll actually make you smarter.
  30. Be yourself! Don’t let anybody discourage you from wearing something you like or falling in love with someone. Be your own person! There’s only one you in the world, don’t ruin it by making yourself a clone of someone else. 

These little reminders have helped me throughout life. What are some of your favorite wisps of wisdom? Tweet them at us @hercampusqu!

QU CONTRIBUTOR

Quinnipiac '20

This author has graduated from QU.
Caisse Davis

Quinnipiac

Hi, Collegiettes! My name is Caisse. I'm a senior journalism major at Quinnipiac University, just looking to prove my writing other than in a sea of girls in Lily and boys in pastel colored button-ups. Feel free to check out my articles, as well as my personal blog! http://caissedavis.wordpress.com