3 Artists to Watch This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Autumn is a great time of year to discover new artists.  Whether you’re sitting at your local Starbucks drinking an Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte, driving in your friend’s car, or cuddled up under your blankets listening to iTunes radio, you’re sure to stumble upon some great songs that you’ve never heard of before.

Below are a few artists that I have recently discovered.  Their musical styles are both unique and calming to the soul, and their songs will make you want to bundle up in your favorite sweater and admire the changing colors on the trees as you walk across the quad.

1.  Bo Saris

Contemporary singer-songwriter Bo Saris is originally from Venlo, Netherlands.  He won the second edition of the Dutch talent show Idols but moved to London to start a fresh career after taking a meeting with Bill Withers.

His musical style has been described as having soul, funk, and jazz influences, and he has been compared to the likes of Amy Winehouse, Adele and Cee-Lo Green.  He is currently signed to Deram Records and Universal Music.

Songs to check out: “Little Bit More” and “She’s On Fire”

2.  Kodaline

Kodaline, a Dublin-based Irish rock band, got its start in music back in 2005 when they were known as 21 Demands.  In 2011 they changed their name to Kodaline and began to experience international success.  Members include lead singer Steve Garrigan, guitarist Mark Prendergast, drummer Vinny May, and bass guitarist Jason Boland.

Their song “All I Want” gained mass attention after it was featured in The Fault in Our Stars’ soundtrack.  The indie rock band is currently signed to RCA Records and B-Unique Records.

Songs to check out: “All I Want”, “Talk” and “One Day.”  (But their whole album, In a Perfect World, is worth a listen!)

3.  James Bay

British singer-songwriter and guitarist James Bay is a fairly new artist who only began his professional music career in 2013.  Bay grew up in Hitchin, Hertfordshire and studied at the Brighton Institute of Modern Music, known for its “vibrant music and art scene.”

In July of 2013, Bay released his first EP, The Dark of the Morning, which has a soul and indie pop feel.  His second EP, Let It Go, was released in June 2014.  His lead single from the EP, also titled “Let It Go”, reached No. 62 on the UK charts.

Bay is currently signed to Republic Records and Universal Music.

Songs to check out: “Let It Go” and “Move Together”

Be sure to grab your favorite warm drink, layer up those fall clothes, and give these three artists to watch a listen as you walk to class or cozy up in that twin-sized bed.  You won’t be disappointed!

Hey everyone! I'm Christina Ruenes. I am a junior at Quinnipiac University from Long Island, New York. I'm an International Business Major, Marketing Minor. I have a wide range of interests including travel, fashion, news, history, beauty, and entertainment. I ultimately enjoy writing about topics that I find interesting and that I think other collegiates would like to read about.
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!