10 Important Cartoons That Have Been Forgotten

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Remember the good ol’ days of Saturday morning cartoons?  We’re taking a look back at some of the best old school animated series that shaped every 90s kid’s childhood.

1. Kablam! (1996-2000)

“Kablam!” was such an awesome show because of the simple fact it was many cartoons within one cartoon.  The fascinating cartoons inside were Sniz & Fondue, Action League Now!, Prometheus and Bob, and Life with Loopy.  They made you feel like you were in a comic book as they turned the page to your favorite cartoon.  June and Henry, the hosts for the show, had their own shenanigans before the cartoons, which were always met with laughs.  Can we get TeenNick to put this on the “90s Are All That” line-up?

Click here for clips online.

Click here to buy the complete series.

2. Animaniacs (1993-1998)

“It’s time for Animaniacs, and we’re zany to the max, so just sit back and relax; you’ll laugh ’till you collapse; we’re animan-iacs.”  When you heard these words, Yakko, Wakko and Dot were here to make your afternoon or your Saturday morning filled with fun and comedic laughter.  This show included Dot’s Poetry Corner and Pinky and the Brain segments.  Yakko, the oldest of the three, is the fast-talking smart alec; Wakko, the middle one, has a huge appetite, a gag bag filled with tricks, and often has his tongue sticking out; Dot, the youngest and the only girl, used her cuteness to get her way.

Click here for clips online.

Click here to buy the complete series.

3. Mucha Lucha (2002-2005)

This Kids’ WB series documented the lives of children studying to become the best wrestlers.  It caught our attention with the main characters, Rikochet, The Flea and Buena Girl.  Individually, they were strong wrestlers, but together they were an unstoppable force against those who challenged them.  But at the end of the day, they were great friends that were always there for each other.  We will always remember “honor, family, tradition, donuts!”

Click here for clips online.

Click here to buy the complete series.

4. My Life as a Teenage Robot (2003- 2005; 2008-2009)

We all remember Jenny.   She was the crime-stopping-slash-I-want-to-be-a-normal-teenager robot.  All high school students could relate to her because she just wanted the simple things in life, like to be liked and have the boy she is interested in like her back.  Although she did have someone (Sheldon) interested, she just wanted to be normal.  But there was no such thing for this courageous super hero who, with her friends Brad and Tuck, made this cartoon down right loveable.

Click here for clips online.

Click here to buy the complete series.

5. Kim Possible (2002-2007)

“What’s the stitch?”  This show was a part of the biggest golden era of Disney Chanel and was the most-watched and best-rated cartoon, but it has since been forgotten.  Kim went from cheerleading practice to saving the world from Dr. Drakken and Shego, with help from Ron Stoppable, his naked mole rat Rufus, and Wade, the tech genius.  This show created a world in which a girl did everything.  (And when Kim and Ron got together, we all sighed heavily and said, “Finally!”)

Click here for clips online.

Click here to buy the complete series.

6. Pepper Ann (1997-2000)

Pepper Ann was our first look at an awkward and courageous (and ambiguously Jewish) girl who maintained who she was no matter how the world looked at her.  With her best friends, Nicky and Milo, by her side at school; her out-of-the-box, amazingly embarrassing mother; and her wise little sister, Moose, there was no telling how far Pepper Ann’s imagination and adventures could go.  (Side note: She also talked to her reflection and it talked back, so that was inspirational.)

Click here for clips online.

Click here to buy the complete series.

7. As Told By Ginger (2000-2006)

This show was really about Ginger’s everyday life.  She didn’t have a gimmick that was realistic and unreachable.  Ginger was a regular girl with a poetic spirit that encouraged viewers to seek to be the best version of themselves.  The reason we fell in love with this show was because almost all of the characters stepped to the beat of their own drums.  Don’t forget her three best friends: Dodie, super talkative and gossipy but somehow loveable; Macie, panicky but extremely intelligent; and Darren, calm, reliable and down-to-earth.

Click here for clips online.

Click here to buy the complete series.

8. The Wild Thornberrys (1998-2004)

“The Wild Thornberrys” was not only funny and entertaining but provided information on a variety of animals—and with personality, no less.  Eliza Thornberry had the power to talk to animals, an envious talent to have.  Eliza’s quirky parents, Marianne and Nigel, are nature show hosts who go from place to place in their RV.  She had a teenage older sister, Debbie, who always was a style icon in my eyes and an adopted brother, Donnie, who was a wild boy.  And let’s forget Darwin, her pet monkey.  The whole family was entertaining and set a great example for animal activism.

9. Braceface (2001-2004)

This show centered on Sharon, who had a mouth full of metal that most of us could have related to at the time.  Unfortunately, her braces always seemed to get her into more trouble.  She had her friends helping her along the way, along with her divorced mother and her two brothers, who made her life interesting and relatable.  At the end of it all, she still got her crush.  (Go, girl!)

Click here for clips online.

Click here to buy the complete series.

10. The Proud Family (2001-2005)

When you heard “The Proud Family” theme song, recorded by Destiny’s Child, you couldn’t help but sing along.  Penny Proud was at the center of the show most of the time.  There was Dijonay, the loud and proud best friend; Zoey, geeky but loyal; LaCienega, the frenemy that respected Penny deep down; and Sticky, who was always trying to run away from Dijonay.  Suga Mama and Puff were always, hilariously enough, arguing with Penny’s dad, Oscar.  This show addressed issues of race and class and was cool…like the other side of the pillow.

What are some of your favorite cartoons from when you were growing up?  Reminisce with us by tweeting @hercampusqu!

My name is Tori Batiste and I am a current junior at Quinnipiac University studying Film and Women's Studies. I am a Texas native and cant wait for life to bring more happiness and joy. I enjoy anything that can spark my imagination and that challenges me. I have so much to share with the world that I just cant help but express myself.
I am an undergraduate journalism major at Quinnipiac University. I love reading, writing, shopping, studying fashion, working hard, playing hard, and learning new things. I entertain interests in women’s issues and enjoy writing about all things interesting, beautiful, and humorous. Follow my blog at http://melissasirois.tumblr.com to see more of my work!