10 Easy Recipes for the Not-So-Plain Vegan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

Flavor is an essential component in my Haitian household and culture. If the food is plain or flavorless, it is not edible! Vegan food can be viewed as plain and boring but as an experimental, not-so-there-yet vegan I have concocted a few of my own recipes that my taste buds are quite happy with. These recipes are easy to follow, with 10 or less ingredients needed. But do not feel married to any components of these recipes; feel free to change it up and make it your own– the goal is to have fun and enjoy your food. Be free! Here are 10 interesting, satisfying, healthy, protein-packed, flavorful-but-not-overpowering vegan recipes:

• Tomato Avocado Toast:

Cut tomatoes and avocados into slices. Squeeze half a small lemon or lime on top. Add salt, pepper and turmeric vinaigrette*. Add in olive oil last to seal in the flavors, otherwise the spices will not adhere to your food. Add to bread. Enjoy. (You can also mash up the avocados and spread it onto the bread!)

• Vinaigrette:

Whisk pink Himalayan salt, pepper and turmeric into lime or lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in a bowl. Add olive oil last! Whisk and taste.

• Walnut Arugula Salad

Chop a handful of walnuts, some red or white onions, tomatoes, bell peppers and mix in with bulgur wheat, couscous or quinoa. Add to a bowl with the vinaigrette above and toss. Then toss in a green; use arugulaspinach or kale

• Apple Cinnamon Snack

Simply sprinkle cinnamon on cut and peeled organic apples. Do not consume the skin of non-organic apples for they add wax for shine, that is indigestible to humans.

• Chocolate Loaded Oatmeal

Mix in 1 cup of preferred oatmeal with unsweetened cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, dried cranberries (or raisins, tart cherries) and 1 cup of almond milk. Microwave for five minutes or cook on stove top for three minutes. Add in chopped bananas, applesstrawberries or blueberries. Top off with maple syrup, agave or honey and coconut flakes.

• Rich Hot Cocoa with Almond Milk

Pour almond milk in a mug with unsweetened cocoa powder (the kind you bake with). Add cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in brown sugar or maple syrup. Heat on stove top or in microwave.

• Haitian Fried Plantains with Plikliz (Haitian coleslaw)

Cut plantain (green bananas) diagonally into 2 in. pieces. Fry them in vegetable oil until golden yellow and your fork can poke through them. Place the plantains on a paper towel and while they are still warm, flatten with the bottom of a clean, sturdy bowl. Refry flattened plantains until crispy, golden yellow. Sprinkle sea salt on them. Prepare coleslaw with shredded carrots and cabbage– can be store bought! Mix with vinaigrettelime juice, salt, cayenne pepper, chopped jalapenos, 1 tablespoon of the hot oil from the pan and chopped onions

• Spanish Sweet Plantains (Manduros)

Chop sweet, yellow plantains into 1 ¼ in. pieces and fry them until they are golden brown. They may appear dark brown because of the sugars but it is still edible and delicious. Sprinkle salt on them and enjoy!

• Roasted Butternut Squash or Sweet Potatoes  

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Chop butternut squash or sweet potatoes into even cubes and toss with olive oil, salt, turmeric and black pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, turning them over once within 20 minutes of being in the oven. Garnish with parsley.

• Tropical Fruit Salad

Simply cut and mix ripe mango, kiwi, blueberry, chia seeds and coconut flakes into a bowl.

Enjoy, collegiettes! 

Soraya Melle

Quinnipiac

My name is Soraya Melle and I am a Senior Biology major/French minor with a pre-medical concentration at Quinnipiac University '17. My favorite thing to do is paint and draw. I am learning to play the piano and guitar (emphasis on learning)! I have kitten named Keanu and I am not too sure if she loves me or not.
Caisse Davis

Quinnipiac

Hi, Collegiettes! My name is Caisse. I'm a senior journalism major at Quinnipiac University, just looking to prove my writing other than in a sea of girls in Lily and boys in pastel colored button-ups. Feel free to check out my articles, as well as my personal blog! http://caissedavis.wordpress.com