This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

In my opinion, I see movies as being divided into two categories. First, you have your “smart” movies, movies that actually require you to pay attention. Movies such as Inception, V for Vendetta, TENET (which I saw in theatres and genuinely could not tell you what happened in that movie) and many more where if you go on your phone for a few minutes, you’ll probably be lost for the rest of the movie.

The second category is my favourite movies. These are the fun, happy-go-lucky movies that make film bros’ skin crawl…. and I love them. I am obsessed with watching movies for enjoyment—I do this for self-care when I need to shut my brain off and just stop thinking for a few hours. Here, I’ve compiled a list of my all-time favourite simple movies that never fail to make me forget the world and live vicariously through the characters.

1. Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo is probably my favourite movie of all time because of how simple and fun it is. Starring Selena Gomez and Leighton Meester, this story follows three girls who plan a trip to Paris but wind up switching identities with a celebrity, and then they are whisked away to Monte Carlo where they need to keep up the act. This is your typical teen rom-com that but I’m still so obsessed with it, and I can’t even begin to explain why. Whenever someone asks me about this movie all I can say is that it’s definitely no Oscar award winner, but it’s just something cute and relaxing that you’ll have so much fun watching. 

2. Mamma mia!

Sophie never knew her father and when she finds her mom’s diary, she decides to invite the three possible men to her upcoming wedding. Personally, I refuse to trust anyone who hates Mamma Mia! because with Greek Islands, mystery weddings, ABBA, what more could you ask for! This movie is filled with love and all things good in the world making for an incredible movie night. Although it is so much fun to belt out Honey, Honey with all your friends, doing it alone is still amazing and is such a good stress reliever. The best part, if two hours isn’t enough time to relax, there’s a sequel :)

Early poster for the movie \'Mamma Mia!\'
Universal Pictures

3. Twilight

With the Twilight renaissance over the past year, what perfect time to watch Twilight other than right now! The first Twilight movie focuses on Bella meeting Edward only to discover his whole family consists of vampires. The two fall in love but this isn’t a great thing for everyone. In my opinion, there is nothing more enjoyable than the cinematic masterpiece that is the vampire baseball scene. 

The Twilight Saga Edward and Bella
Summit Entertainment

4. Clueless

Another absolute classic girly movie! The main character Cher has always had everything, but she’s never fallen in love, and yet she’s still perfectly happy! But after spending all this time helping others, she wants to finally find love herself. All I need to say about this is Paul Rudd and then I think you’ll know why this movie is amazing. Honestly, any 90s rom-com based on a form of classic literature will never fail you: 10 Things I Hate About You, She’s The Man, etc.  

5. The Disaster Artist

Okay so this movie does have some classic film bro vibes but it’s just too funny to not put on the list! Based on the best, worst movie ever made, “The Room” follows the true story of Tommy Wiseau… or at least what people are able to discover about him. Now this movie is incredibly funny in the most unexpected ways but I think my favourite part has to be the fact that just when you think “oh the cast can’t get more famous than this” they throw in another random celebrity! 

As we’re approaching the end of the semester, exams and other holiday stress are all building up for so many of us. Never feel guilty for taking a break, even if it’s just to take a couple of hours and watch one of the movies on this list. I promise it will be more than okay and we all need breaks, so take them <3

Victoria is a third-year Bachelor of Arts student at Queen's University studying English. She is also a lover of music, romcoms, Formula 1, and is always open to book recs!