Why I recommend listening to Podcasts and some Tricks and Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Before university, I really didn’t know much about podcasts. They were just an app that I had on my phone and honestly tried to get rid of. I didn’t get caught up in the Serial buzz in 2015 which put podcasts on the map. The reason I began listening to them was a common feeling during first year: loneliness. Moving away from home is difficult and adapting not only to a new school and country but also the responsibilities that come with being an adult can be isolating.

I have always liked to watch true crime shows such as “Dateline” and “48 Hours” due to their fascinating cases and interesting factoids that often shock you making you question everyone you know. One day I was in my dorm room, just feeling pretty down. It was the beginning of winter and, being a person who had only seen snow twice before in her life, I was not prepared. I was looking through my search bar and noticed a new show I had never heard of. When I tried to look for it, I kept being redirected to the podcast app. After way too long spent trying to see if it was an actual show, I finally decided to just try and listen to it.

I was completely hooked. I started waking up early to listen to podcasts and they made my mornings fun. I listened to them in the shower, in the gym and even sometimes to sleep. I admit I do have weird habits, like watching Jeopardy on the treadmill, but podcasts are definitely not one of my niche interests. I don’t expect that everyone will share my interest in them but trust me, there is a podcast for anyone.

Podcasts gave me an opportunity to not feel like the odd person out. I managed to improve my social life and help me feel less lonely. I felt like I was listening to people I had known for years and could laugh at their jokes and feel sad for their losses. I  was more motivated to leave my room and socialize and not just cocoon on my bed because they reignited my interest in interacting with people to fight off the loneliness. 

Now if you decide to embark on this thrilling journey, you’ll need some tips;

Tip #1

If you have an Apple/iOS phone, I would recommend the Podcast app. It has important features such as a sleep timer that can be used to set how far into an episode you will listen in case you fall asleep and the ability to customize the fast forward buttons (my personal settings are 15 seconds to rewind and 30 to fast forward). It also allows you to download any podcast so you can listen to it anywhere, which is awesome for long car rides and plane rides.

Tip #2

If you have an Android, I would recommend Podcoin. I just began to use it and, even if it offers less customizable settings, it is a great option. You earn points for every podcast you listen to which you can later exchange for gift cards to stores such as Amazon, Starbucks and more. It’s a great way to fund your Starbucks habit.

Tip #3

Get some good headphones so you can immerse yourself in the content. This is especially important for Podcasts with long narratives (such as Teachers Pet, To Live and Die in Hollywood and Serial). Even earphones work well as long as both are working (something that doesn’t seem to be the case with my headphones for very long)

Tip #4

Be prepared to try many podcasts and not like them. It takes a while to find the ones that fit best and try not to get discouraged. Try different types.

Tip #5

Many popular YouTubers have podcasts if your a huge fan of a particular one check if they have a podcast. It’s a good way to begin listening to podcasts with someone you recognize and like.

Amanda Neves

Queen's U '22

Amanda Neves is a second year student at Queen's University hoping to major in History or Politics that loves absurd amounts of chicken nuggets, traveling and any fluffy animals. Originally from the U.S and Brazil, she grew up in five different countries and is trilingual. She hopes to go to law school or grad school (or both!) after her undergrad.
HC Queen's U contributor