This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Since the start of the pandemic affecting the Ontario population in March, we’ve all had a few long months in quarantine. Once school started again in September, things didn’t exactly go back to normal. Living in a pandemic has taught me quite a few things. 

Family is incredibly important. When we were all told to stay home, we began to rely heavily on the comfort and companionship of our families. I know I did. Which leads me to my second point, I am very fortunate to have a home with heating, air conditioning, running water, food, and working internet. Not everyone has those amenities and I realized just how lucky I am. While being stuck at home was hard, there were people who had it much, much worse than I. I have grown to appreciate my family, my home, and my city. I am privileged to have a place where I feel safe, healthy, and comfortable. Many people do not have these things.

Family cooking together
Photo by August de Richelieu from Pexels

It’s hard to maintain friendships and relationships when you’re stuck at home. You may have fallen out of contact with friends you never thought you would. If you were single when quarantine started then you quickly realized that you most likely aren’t going to create a meaningful relationship with anyone anytime soon. I learnt that this is okay. You make time for the people you want in your life and vice versa. I also learnt that embracing being alone is a great thing. I learnt a lot about myself because I spent a significant amount of time simply being by myself. I realized that I don’t need other people around to have fun! I’m having fun on my own. 

The Lazy Artist Gallery

When you’re stuck inside, physical activity and fresh air are completely revitalizing. A walk around the neighbourhood with your earphones in gives your head a break. I didn’t realize the importance of moving my body and breathing in fresh air until my mental state was affected at the beginning of quarantine. When you don’t feel your best mentally, it feels like you can’t accomplish anything else. I learnt that this is okay. Some days all I would accomplish was cleaning my room, going on a walk, or finishing up lecture notes. I reminded myself that this is okay; that way life didn’t feel so overwhelming.

two friends walking big dogs on leashes on a bright grassy hill
Photo by Gustavo Fring from Pexels

Alexandra is a fourth year student majoring in Sociology at Queen's University. She is also the president of a club on campus that she is passionate about; Girls Inc. at Queen's. She hopes her writing helps others as much as it helps her! 
HC Queen's U contributor