What Bohemian Rhapsody Taught Me About Self-Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Whether or not Bohemian Rhapsody accurately represents the life of Freddie Mercury (otherwise known as the lead singer of Queen), this movie was the best slap in the face I could’ve ever asked for.

Bohemian Rhapsody is about a man, Freddie, who’s seen as an outcast by his father for his “uselessness” in the world. After forming the band Queen, he becomes one of music history’s most ground-breaking, rule-bending and inspiring performers that ever rocked.  

I could give you a million reasons to go and watch Bohemian Rhapsody right now… or I can just tell you why the movie made me ugly cry in the theatre, so that maybe you’ll want to ugly cry in the theatre, too.

See, Bohemian Rhapsody is more than just the life behind the biggest rock band there ever was. It’s inspiration to always stay unapologetic for being the funky, bold, ambitious, fearless, creative, most authentic “You” today.

Freddie, for better or worse, was passionate about being different. He also knew who he was. He knew he was Freddie Mercury. He knew he dressed differently than other men, but absolutely owned every colourful, wacky outfit he wore. He knew that his band was a family. He knew that record labels needed Queen; Queen did not need them. Most importantly, he knew the that world around him was purely limitless.

Here’s the catch though.

If Freddie had hid his identity and socially-constructed weirdness from the world, you and I may have never known to instinctively stomp, clap and sing “We Will Rock You” with strangers in karaoke bars. The reason I was blown away by this movie was that it made me realize that Freddie still makes an impact in our lives today. 

Without Freddie presenting himself to the world, we would have that many less eccentric rock songs to lose ourselves to and that many less bad attempts to sing “Bohemian Rhapsody.” I would have had one less movie-night memory with my friends, one less source of inspiration to write an article, and one less reason to ugly cry in a theatre.

Freddie Mercury left a mark in this world, no matter how little or big, by simply being.

This is why it’s so important to be the weird “You” that the world is waiting for. I now live for the irony that “Bohemian Rhapsody” is one of the most cherished songs ever, after being doubted at the time of its release by critics.

So hey, dear critics:

In all seriousness, let 2019 be less about trying to “find” yourself and more about just living as authentically as you can. Surround yourself with people who inspire you to change for the better, find hobbies that allow you to express yourself freely, and self-love it up!

Berenda Sayadof

Queen's U '19

Berenda is a fourth year Biology student at Queen's University and has a passion for free-style writing and a knack for binge-watching Netflix shows. Besides her love for pursuing a career in Global Health, she loves to paint and shamelessly order takeout with her friends. "Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things" ~ Ray Bradbury