This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Personally, Thanksgiving is one of my favourite times of the year: the weather is perfect, food is plentiful, and feelings are warm. Regardless of whether you choose to go home and spend the holiday with your birth family, or you stay on campus to partake in festivities with friends and chosen family, there is always reason to give thanks.

For playing something in the background while you and your family cook, to watch on the sofa with good company, and any other instance you can think of – this is the ultimate list to fulfill all your television needs.

1. Friends

• The One Where Underdog Gets Away (S1E9)

• The One with the Football (S3E9)

• The One with Chandler in a Box (S4E8)

• The One with All the Thanksgivings (S5E8)

• The One Where Ross Got High (S6E9)

• The One Where Chandler Doesn’t Like Dogs (S7E8)

• The One with the Rumour (S8E9)

• The One with Rachel’s Other Sister (S9E8)

• The One with the Late Thanksgiving (S10E8)

The classics. Need I say more?

2.  The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society

A beautifully shot and directed period film, in which a London writer finds inspiration within a small and colourful community of readers on the island of Guernsey following German occupation. Don’t let the perplexing title intimidate you; this is an incredibly charming movie with even more charming characters.  

3. Coffee Shop

Despite being a smaller-scale movie, The Coffee Shop is as quaint and cute as its name suggests. Not the most original and revolutionary of films, but anyone who has a soft spot for saturated sweetness will probably find this one fun. As a side note, since this movie doesn’t require too much thinking or attention for casual enjoyment, it’s a great choice to have going in the background.

4. When Harry Met Sally

As a generation that has become accustomed to a movie industry that emphasizes high definition and production value, there can be something a bit off-putting about watching “older” movies (in this case, 1989). However, there is a good reason why When Harry Met Sally is regarded as one of the O.G. romantic comedies. If you’re feeling nostalgic about a time when you weren’t even alive, this movie will hit the spot. Feel-good, indeed.

5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone

It can be argued (and rightfully so) that this is a film suitable for absolutely any time of the year. Yet, there is an undeniable autumnal quality about the HP movies, perhaps due to the fact that they always start off around this time, when both we and the main characters have headed back to school for another academic year. If you haven’t had a chance to make it through the Harry Potter movies yet, better late than never; now is a great time to start.

6. The Bourne Identity

Sure, not everyone likes romance movies. Sometimes you’re just in the mood for something faster-paced. The Bourne Identity packs action, atmosphere, and Matt Damon in an easily digestible thriller that will certainly make you grateful you aren’t in his shoes. And isn’t Thanksgiving all about gratitude?

There’s the list.

Happy Thanksgiving and happy watching!