The Ultimate Halloween Movie List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Unsure of your plans this Halloween? Don’t have three amazing costumes lined up that are both clever and sexy? Does your liver desperately need a break? Have a relaxing evening in, watching some awesome films curated by yours truly!

Childhood Favourites

Re-live some of your best Halloween memories

Hocus Pocus (1993)

Teenager Max Dennison accidently releases a coven of evil witches, while exploring an abandoned haunter house with his little sister, Dani.

The Haunted Mansion (2003)

A workaholic real estate agent and his family decide to stay at one of his listings, only to find out that it is by Master Gracey and some of his scary servants, such as Ramsey, the butler.

Harry Potter (1997-forever, HP will never go out of style)

Did you even have a childhood if you don’t know the plot by now?!

Comedic Classics

Cult films that will make you bust a gut laughing

Beetle Juice (1988)

A recently deceased couple enlist the help of a poltergeist, named Beetlejuice, to get rid of the new family that has moved into their house.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

A couple gets stranded near the home of Dr. Frank-N-Furter, who is hosting some Transylvanians from the planet Transsexual and kooky antics ensue.

Young Frankenstein (1974)

A young doctor inherits his grandfather, Dr. Victor von Frankenstein’s, castle in Transylvania. There, he discovers a hunchback, a lab assistant and his grandfather’s reanimation experiments.

Ghostbusters (1984)

Three professors, who specialize in paranormal activity, start a business as a ghost removal service in New York City.

Scary Suspense

DISCLAIMER: You Might Pee Your Pants :/

Rear Window (1954)

A Hitchcock classic, wherein a photographer with a broken leg is confined to a wheelchair and spends his days to looking out the rear window of his apartment watching his neighbours. He becomes suspicious of one neighbour, in particular, and thinks the man may have killed his wife.

Gone Girl (2014)

Viewers don’t know who to trust in this thriller, when a man’s wife suddenly disappears without a trace, and he becomes the prime suspect.

The Shining (1980)

A writer, who has a history of abuse and alcoholism, decides to be the caretaker of a secluded resort during the winter with his wife and psychic son. The resort begins to reveal its troubled past of violence, with evil lurking around every corner.

Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

Newlyweds move into an apartment surrounded by suspicious neighbours, who become strangely obsessed with the wife, Rosemary’s, pregnancy.

Third year English major at Queen's University in Kingston, ON, Canada. Witty ginger who loves yoga, canoe tripping, roasting veggies and marketing.