This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

If you are anything like me, drowning in readings and assignments, the only thing keeping me going is planning for the holiday season. Just a few more weeks to go before we can finally catch up on sleep and spend time with our families. As someone who hasn’t done a good TV show binge in a while, I can’t wait to start watching some new shows to cheer me up. Here are some of my best TV recommendations I’d think you’d enjoy during the break:

1. Modern Family

Everyone and their hairdresser has probably seen this show by now, but if you haven’t, this would have to be my top recommendation! Modern Family is a funny, yet heart-felt, show about a big Californian family detailing their day to day lives. The show features a combination of hilarious characters, from the “closet-expert” Jay to everyone’s favourite real estate agent/ magician Phil. Each episode is 22 minutes long, and it’s perfect for the whole family. This show is a great way to de-stress, unwind, and have a good laugh. 

Woman in White Bed Holding Remote Control While Eating Popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels

2. Queer Eye

If you’re in the mood for both a good cry and a good laugh, Queer Eye is exactly that. The series stars a group of gay men known as The Fab 5, who are in charge of giving a new person a personalized lifestyle makeover every episode. The Fab 5 include Antoni Porowski, the food and wine extraordinaire, fashion stylist Tan France, culture and lifestyle coach Karamo Brown, interior designer Bobby Berk and hair and grooming expert Jonathan Van Ness. Each of these men help to revamp a new person’s life, while also helping them unpack any emotional struggles and confidence issues that they may be dealing with. With Karamo’s advice and Jonathan Van Ness’ humour, this show makes for the perfect combination of lifestyle tips and non-stop laughter.  

Person Wearing Gray and White Socks Near Brown Fireplace
Photo by Taryn Elliot from Pexels

3. Insecure 

What more can be said about the dramedy that unpacks it all. It covers everything from the struggles of heartbreak, starting from scratch with a new career, friendship problems, to the challenges of navigating adulthood. Insecure follows the lives of two beautiful and independent black women, Issa and Molly, as they shift and adapt to the awkward aspects of womanhood and find themselves in the crazy world that is Los Angeles. This show is not only relatable, but always gives watchers a great laugh as Issa regularly raps motivational verses to herself in the mirror and experiences the many awkward first dates as a 20-something woman. To top it off, this show has an amazing soundtrack that has me keeping my Shazam open throughout each episode.

Emily Nicaso

Queen's U '24

My name is Emily Nicaso and I am a first-year student at Queen's University. I love the arts and am passionate about espresso and sitcoms.
HC Queen's U contributor