Style

Trend Alert! Yoga Pants are Back and Gen Z are Calling Them “Flare Leggings”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Hey, twenty-year-olds! Get ready to feel super old. There’s a new fashion fad in town and it’s definitely not what you’d expect.  

As a shopping addict and fashion lover, I know what it’s like to buy five pairs of the exact same pants only to end up questioning my decision two months later.  Unfortunately, trends come and go and the clothes that I was excited about wearing five months ago are now considered to be so last year.  Even though I would love to relive my Lululemon headband and gaucho pants stage, sometimes you gotta know when to move on!

This past month, YouTuber Emma Chamberlain brought back a trend that no one saw coming. The influencer was seen in black yoga pants and a basic sweater. Within minutes, girls between the age of 12 and 25 became obsessed with finding their own pair of yoga pants and recreating this “iconic” look.  

Cam Morin via Unsplash

Even though we all knew that yoga pants would eventually come back in style, I would never have guessed that Gen Z would dare to refer to them as “Flare Leggings”. There are now thousands of TikTok videos of girls recreating Chamberlain’s look, and clothing stores such as American Eagle, Garage, and Old Navy are even selling these bad boys again! Don’t get me wrong: I love the look, but the name “Flare Leggings” rubs me the wrong way and I’m definitely not alone. Tons of millennials have posted videos saying that they have a major problem with this new term while Gen Z seems to be a bit clueless. Individuals who are currently in middle school didn’t grow up wearing Joe Fresh yoga pants like we did, so they have no right to argue with us on this one! 

If you’re down to try out “flare leggings” this season, check out some cheaper options from Old Navy, Amazon, or Garage. Lululemon is also advertising their Groove high-rise yoga pants as the OG “flare leggings”. These pants have been around since 1998 at Lululemon, and the brand is pleased that these best-selling pants are back.

Alternatively, you can ask your mom if she has her yoga pants from 10 years ago … just make sure to not call them “flare leggings” because she’ll have no idea what you’re talking about!

Julia Sable

Queen's U '21

Julia Sable is a fifth year student at Queen's University. She is passionate about writing and hopes to pursue a career in fashion.
HC Queen's U contributor