samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Top 3 DIY Face Masks that are Musts for Midterm Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

1. Brightening Turmeric Mask

This is my all-time favourite mask! You can use it anywhere on your body to lift and brighten rough, dark surfaces on your skin. This fun mask can be used as an overnight “spot treatment” for pimples, or as a brightening cream for any dark areas on your body like your face, underarms, knees, or neck creases.

What you need:

• 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt

• 1 tablespoon of honey

• 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder

• A little bit of milk (optional) – helps ease turmeric staining on your skin!

Steps:

1. Mix all the ingredients to get a thick, creamy consistency

2. Apply a thin layer on your face and let set for 20 minutes

3. Rinse off thoroughly, scrubbing gently to remove the turmeric residue

4. Apply moisturizer

N.B. Turmeric stains big-time, so keep it away from your favourite clothes!

Why it works:

Turmeric is an age-old ingredient added to diets and skin creams for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It acts as a natural exfoliator by lifting dead skin cells and destroying acne-causing bacteria that might irritate your skin over time. Due to its antiseptic properties, it also naturally heals and reduces the appearance of scars.

2. Hydrating Egg-White Face Mask

This classic face mask is great for all skin types, but you’ll especially benefit from it if you have dry skin!

What you need:

• 1 egg white

• Lemon (optional)

• Honey (optional)

Steps:

1. Mix all of the ingredients together to get a smooth, frothy consistency

2. Apply the mixture to your face with clean fingertips and let sit for 15 minutes

3. When the mask is fully dry, rinse your face with warm water and pat dry using a clean towel

Why it Works:

Egg whites contain lots of nutrients and vitamins that rejuvenate dry skin. Their healing and moisturizing powers (when combined with the lemon) also help to lift dirt and oil from pores, as well as reducing those pesky white/blackheads overtime.

3. Gentle Oatmeal Mask for Oily Skin

This mask is so fun to make on a Friday night-in! If you experience oily skin, this blend is great for lifting oils and making your skin feel light and fresh!

What you need:

• 1 tablespoon of honey

• 1 egg yolk

• Oatmeal

Steps:

1. Make sure to separate the egg yolk from the whites, and add the yolk to the honey

2. Add oatmeal until every oat is nicely covered in the syrupy yolk-honey mixture, so it sticks to your face easily

3. Spread over face and let it sit for 15 minutes. Avoid moving around so the oats don’t slip off!

4. Wash face with warm water and apply your favourite moisturizer

Why it Works:

Oatmeal is known for its antimicrobial and oil-absorbing properties. It’s also very moisturizing, so it’s a great way to treat your skin at the end of a busy week!

Image courtesy of Giphy

Berenda Sayadof

Queen's U '19

Berenda is a fourth year Biology student at Queen's University and has a passion for free-style writing and a knack for binge-watching Netflix shows. Besides her love for pursuing a career in Global Health, she loves to paint and shamelessly order takeout with her friends. "Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things" ~ Ray Bradbury