This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Like many people this quarantine, I spent far too much time scrolling through my ‘For You’ page on TikTok; so much so that I had to turn off my screen-time settings so that I didn’t have to see the evidence of exactly how much of my time I was spending. Have all of those hours been a complete waste of time?

One of my favourite TikTok accounts is Skincare by Hyram. I’m usually fairly hesitant to listen to skincare tips from the internet, but after watching (maybe too many) videos and trying out some of his suggestions for myself, I am now a huge fan of Hyram. Hyram’s mindfulness about affordability and the impact of the beauty industry on the environment are just part of what has made him so successful, on top of his genuine desire to help his followers feel good about their skin. 

Unsplash/ Hum

TikTok pasta, another craze that swept over the app, was just as delicious as many videos claimed it to be. Made by placing a full block of feta cheese along with cherry tomatoes, olive oil and some seasoning in the oven, then mixing with some pasta – this simple meal might become a new favourite lazy and tasty dinner recipe.

The app has provided ample entertainment among the many hours of sitting at home. Talented musicians, comedians, dancers, activists and others create seemingly endless amounts of content, even creating a TikTok musical that streamed in January, raising $2,000,000 for The Actor’s Fund. Many people have found creative ways of keeping themselves entertained during the pandemic. Rooms crawl videos have been popular on the app, with groups of friends decorating each of their rooms in fun themes.

tik tok app on black iphone
Photo by Solen Feyissa from Unsplash
It’s hard to spend any time on TikTok without coming across the many dance trends. With very little dance experience other than ballet, I often feel self-conscious dancing. But the easy and fun TikTok choreography, along, of course, with the fact that nobody will watch my videos, aside from all 12 of my followers, takes away a lot of pressure and allows people to just have fun trying new dances.

So, while you probably should also do your homework at some point, maybe not all time spent on TikTok is a waste.

Sarah Eisen

Queen's U '21

Sarah Eisen is a fourth year psychology student at Queen's University.
HC Queen's U contributor