This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As Fall approaches and the weather gets colder, there’s nothing I love more than curling up with a hot tea and a bowl of popcorn to watch a good movie. If you’ve watched Bridgerton (2020) and loved it, these five essential period piece movies are for you.

1. Pride and Prejudice (2005)

This film is based on Jane Austen’s novel and is set in England in the early 1800s. It follows Elizabeth Bennet as she navigates being a strong, independent woman, while experiencing the pressure to marry. When Elizabeth meets the reserved and upper-class Mr. Darcy, they instantly clash. However, you can’t help but notice there is an obvious chemistry between the two.

From the cinematography to the beautiful costumes, you will love this classic romance movie, as it’s one that never fails to put me in a good mood.

2. Little women (2019)

This is the seventh film adaptation of the classic Louisa May Alcott novel, and it’s set in England in the early 1800s. It’s a coming-of-age film that tells the heartfelt stories of the lives of the March sisters—Beth, Amy, Meg and Jo—and their lives in Concord in the nineteenth century. Narrated by Jo March as she reflects on the lighthearted lives of her sisters while they try to live on their own terms in an unprogressive society, it features Florence Pugh, Emma Watson, Meryl Streep, Timothée Chalamet, and Laura Dern. So, if the storyline won’t convince you to watch this film, then let the all-star cast do the trick.

Ever since my Mom gifted me this book, I have loved this story and its messages. This story has taught me so much about the importance of agency in women and is very dear to me. To top it all off, female director Greta Gerwig’s adaptation is beautifully done.

little women?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Sony

3. Emma. (2020)

Following the shenanigans of the misguided matchmaker, Emma Woodhouse, this film deals with the trials and tribulations of love and friendship. This is such a fun movie about a girl that can’t help but get involved in other people’s lives. Emma takes the saying “right in front of your eyes” to a whole new level.

This is my go to period piece when I’m in the mood for a witty yet funny movie.

4. Brooklyn (2015)

Brooklyn follows the life of a young Irish woman who immigrates to America and faces the complex reality of living away from home. Despite finding an amazing romance in New York, this film illustrates that sometimes the ties to a past life and the comfort of home are simply too much to let go.

I love this story, as it touches on culture shock and self-discovery. It’s a beautiful story that shares many useful lessons and is really just timeless.

Harry Potter Bridge Scotland
Original photo by Anabella Klann Harrington

5. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018)

On an island off the coast of northern France, an English writer—played by Lily James—starts exchanging letters with a man named Dawsey Adams, who is a member of a secret literary society. This movie is set in the 1940s, where Germany occupied many countries in Europe during WWII. As the protagonist becomes more entangled in the lives of the people of Guernsey, she finds it harder to return home.

This movie is full of lovable characters, picturesque scenes and romantic drama. It displays historical details of which you may not know about German-occupied lands. I rewatch this movie at least once a year, it’s definitely a classic.

I hope you get to try out some of these movies because they’re too good to miss out on. If you’ve already watched some of them before, you can never go wrong with a rewatch.

Emma Luong

Queen's U '25

A third-year Health Sci student at Queen's University who enjoys reading, making Spotify playlists, watching classic movies and cooking!