Taylor Swift – A Pop Sensation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

The 7th grade was an awkward stage for me, as it must have been for the majority of us. It was a time when I was first experimenting with makeup but still chose to wear clothing from the men’s section of Walmart. Don’t act like you didn’t do it too!

Looking back now, I know how much things have changed. I mean I would hope they have considering that it was over seven years ago! However, one thing that has always remained constant for me is music and the impact it has on my mood and my life in general.

I remember doing research for a presentation with two other girls in my group. Let me first tell you how uncomfortable it is to “third-wheel” two girls who are best friends. It is just about every 12 year-old girl’s nightmare. I could hear them giggling from behind their computer screens and just then music began to play. I have to admit that I was upset at first because they weren’t actually contributing to the research and were simply browsing music on YouTube until I stopped and listened to the song that was playing. It was catchy and the young woman’s voice was beautiful. It was “Our Song” by Taylor Swift. My head began to shake from side to side and my arms were making weird movements. I think I was attempting to dance or something of that nature. I remember going home that night and blasting it in my room, hair brush in hand, attempting to sing along as I memorized every beat and lyric. It was magical. Fast forward to my second year of university and I still get goose-bumps from her music.

If you have been living under a rock for the past month, you might have not heard of the release of Taylor Swift’s new album, 1989. You also might not know that she has officially changed the genre of her music from country to pop. That is what I love about her and that’s why I have yet to get bored of listening to her music. Every album has a change, whether it be in the style of music or the theme of the songs so there is always something to look forward to – something new and exciting. A lot has changed from when I first began listening to her and I like how her music changes right along with me. Despite getting teased by every single one of my friends, I took a bus to the closest Target store in my area on the day of the album release and purchased a hard copy for myself. No regrets whatsoever.

I find the new album to be fun and upbeat but the lyrics remain meaningful. Taylor Swift never fails to write music that everyone can relate to in their own way. I can’t say there is a single song I dislike and even the reviews from my housemates who aren’t as passionate about her music are very good! Despite having to listen to their groans and teasing, every time I play the 1989 playlist as I dance in the kitchen, I can see them nodding to the music AND singing along. Yes, they do in-fact know the lyrics to the songs now and every day I am hearing fewer complaints.

I think that music taste has a lot to do with experience and for me, growing up with her music while trying to make my way through my own life was beneficial for me. Music is a connection and as strange as it is to say, I always felt like I had grown up with Taylor Swift herself. Her music is personal and relatable and in times when I felt alone, it was her music that made me feel somewhat connected to the world.

Even if her music is not something you would typically listen to, I still recommend listening to 1989 because it is unlike anything she has ever done and there is a song in it for everyone. Switching to the genre of pop was a smart move for Ms. Swift because although it brought out a lot of controversy, it also brought in many new fans. Her music is filled with variety and I can assure you that if my housemates enjoy it, I’m sure you would too.